Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help, before I bought 3 SD pickups

Hey! if someone somewhere can confirm that to me

I want to wiring an HSS auto-split mod installation with a Pearly-Gate(trem) a APS2 RW/RP(mid) and a SSL-2(neck)

So,before ordering these 3 pickups to Warmoth

I need to know, if someone among you is familiar with the below diagram and SD pickups,

It is the standard magnetic' polarity for these pickups: SN...S...N

Secondly, cause i'm a beginner concerning wiring diagram,it is true, if i suppose from that below diagram:

It's the inside (slug)(North) humbucker's coil who will be activated for splitting, Or I'm wrong and it's the outside screw(South) coil

Cause i want hum-cancellation in position 2 and 4 obviously, and I expect this confirmation from You,

Thank you in advance
    Below diagram
    Attached Files
    Last edited by john T.; 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM.

Re: Need Help, before I bought 3 SD pickups

Hi just need to know

Who, someone, anybody of You can confirm to me which coil is splitted on that wiring diagram: the inner(slug) or the outsider (screw) coil ??

I am not familiar with four-conductor cable
    Attached Files
    Last edited by john T.; 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I believe you're going to have to ask Seymour Duncan tech support those questions. What you state SHOULD be true but I found my Semour Duncan Invader humbucker split its bridge side (outside, North) coil which did pair with the mid SSL-7 RW/RP in hum canceling mode, but the SD mid and factory neck pickup were both South polarity so no humbucking when paired. I recommend checking your pickups' polarity using a polarity tester to be sure before you start soldering.

Comment

Both of the diagrams show the inner slug coil as the split.

To activate the outer screw coil, the wiring goes red = hot, white and bare together = split, black and green to ground.

Getting hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4 requires the middle pu to be rw/rp. So given that your APS2 is already, just wiring it up as normal should suffice. The wiring is still parallel, so you'll be getting the quacky type Fendery sounds still but without hum.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Both of the diagrams show the inner slug coil as the split.
          I wired my SD Invader humbucker as shown in the diagrams and it grounds the inner, South coil. Both the position and polarity are backwards to the norm. That's why I say ask SD and confirm with a magnetic polarity tester.

Comment

Grounding the red/white wire will give you the slug coil of a standard Duncan humbucker. That will, in turn, be hum-cancelling with an RW/RP single-coil. So, that diagram is good-to-go as is.

Comment

Guys, I agree that the diagram is correct for what the OP wants. What I'm saying is that his new SD pickups might not match up to the diagram. My SD Invader humbucker has the North coil on the bridge side (outside) when the "Seymour Duncan" logo is correct. The outside North coil is active when split. Normally the active North coil is the inside coil so it will sense more string movement.

Since all 3 of his new pickups are from SD and he's using a mid RW/RP everything should be in correct electrical and magnetic phase for hum canceling in the 2 and 4 switch position. If any of the pickups were from another manufacturer then the magnetic polarity should be verified before soldering begins.

Comment

Ok a realy thank you to all of you guys!

That's the kind of reply i am waiting for..finally

Hey Robrob2, for the magnetic polarity tester i think i can use just a simple compass, to testing the polarity direction

and , for the rest thank's, because I make great effort with my english because i am french(North America)

Best regards John T.

Comment

So we are ok with my specs

We talk about all SD pickups:
                  (SN)..S(rw/rp)..N

Comment

Il y aurai pas de probleme, je crois.

As long as you're splitting that N coil with the middle, you'll get hum free performance.
                    Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Ok merci!

I think on that diagram we can see the differences between splitting inner/coil vs outer/coil

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil Splitting.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	5764345

is that's ok for the wiring principle, when it's the S outside-coil: red = hot, green and black together = split, white and bare to ground, compared to the standard SD's auto-split mod(with N inner coil) ?
                      Last edited by john T.; 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Can I apply the same principle to the HSS Auto-split mod?

Comment

Working...
                        X