Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the red wire?

Greetings all.
    A gracious thank you in advance to anyone who can give me a little guidance here.

I've got these new Quarter-Pound pickups for the neck and middle positions of my strat. The pickups have 3 wires. The diagram that I am using for the wiring only requires two. I see from the diagram that came with the pickups that this 3rd (red) wire should be connected to SPDT mini-switches, which I don't have.

My question is, what should I do with these red wires? Solder them off to a pot? Cut and seal?

-Jamey Scott

Re: What to do with the red wire?

All you need to do is insulate the bare end of the red wire. Don't trim it; then it will need to be extended again if you ever decide you want to use it. That would also hurt resale value should you ever decide to change to a different pickup. If having the wire loose in there bothers you, you can tape it down to the side of the control cavity.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The red wire is the tapped lead. You use this if you want a lower output version of the pickup. It's actually a very useful thing to have, so I would look into wiring it up to a push-pull if I were you so you could switch between full and tapped output.

Check out my article on tapped pickups: http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...d-single-coil/

However, if you really don't want to bother with it, just put a bit of electrical tape over the end and tape it up out of the way. Don't ground (solder to a pot) or clip this lead.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Thank you so much for the helpful replies!

Comment

Working...
        X