P-rails hot in neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-rails hot in neck position?

i want to get the p-rail pickup in the neck position and i was wondering if it would sound good if i got the hotter (bridge) version because i would prefer more output?
    Has anyone tried it?

Re: P-rails hot in neck position?

The P-Rails Hot is, if anything, too hot for the bridge position. Especially with the A8 magnet. With mag swaps and amp EQing, it can be made to work very well in the bridge, but I don't think it will ever work well in the neck. The output isn't the only thing to consider...it has lots of midrange and will sound very muddy in the neck position. Even if you could get a decent mid response by swapping in two A5 mags, the bass would then be very boomy and overpowering.

I like the regular P-Rails in the neck and in the bridge, but like I said, the Hot can be made to sound pretty good in the bridge but not the neck.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      The P-Rails Hot is, if anything, too hot for the bridge position. Especially with the A8 magnet. With mag swaps and amp EQing, it can be made to work very well in the bridge, but I don't think it will ever work well in the neck. The output isn't the only thing to consider...it has lots of midrange and will sound very muddy in the neck position. Even if you could get a decent mid response by swapping in two A5 mags, the bass would then be very boomy and overpowering.

I like the regular P-Rails in the neck and in the bridge, but like I said, the Hot can be made to sound pretty good in the bridge but not the neck.
      thanx for the info
      i have a super distortion in the neck position in my other guitar and its very bassy sounding but i like it quite a lot. Would this be similar or a lot more extreme?

Comment

I haven't tried the super d, but from what I've heard about it I think the "P-Rails Hot" would end up being muddier, less articulate, less clear (at least in the mids).

Comment

interesting. ill probably buy the regular p-rails then

Comment

That's what I would do. If you find that you want more output and more mids at some later date, you can always swap in one or two A8 magnets.

Comment

DON'T DO IT

I have to agree with Doc on this the regular p-rail works great in the neck and is actually a fairly hot pickup in it's own right

I think that the wind on the hot isn't favorable for the neck position regardless of mag type in it. Works pretty well in the bridge position with a multitude of magnets depending on taste, playing style, desired tone, all that fun stuff.

I tend to prefer brighter, more articulate neck pickups....the neck position almost always has a fatter, smoother tone due to the harmonic differences at that position. But like most things different strokes for different folks....hell if I look at all my guitars I have tons of different options for neck pickups fralin pure paf, lollar p90, fralin 2% overwound tele, lollar tweed strat, dearmond 2k, tv jones powertron, tv jones magnatron, mini humbucker, dearmond gold tone humbucker, and so on

but anyway I've never tried a super d in the neck but I've used both pickups in the bridge position and based on that alone I'd say that the p-rail hot is going to be darker and muddier sounding (at least in stock form for both pickups)

Comment

^+1.

Comment

Working...
                X