What Pickups do I have?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pickups do I have?!?!

OK, I have this set of Basslines pickups that I received from Warmoth online. I ordered SJ5 70/74's. Now the model numbers underneath say SJ5n/b. This may be the same thing, or at least similar.

Here's the part I don't get: these pickups have 2-cond & shield wiring, as in, red, white, and bare wires. That sounds like an active pickup to me! But unless I am mistaken, both of the above mentioned models are passive. Now here's the real kicker: these pickups have exposed pole-pieces, unlike all the active pickups I've seen on the site.

Unfortunately, I am discovering this too late to return them. (when I built my bass over a year ago, I had no idea what I had, and I wired red as hot, and white & bare together to ground- and it worked!)

At any rate, I want to figure out what I have, so I can sell them if need be, and get some real passive pickups...
    Last edited by NoFretsMan!; 01-06-2005, 11:34 AM.
    03 Fretless 5 string "Gecko" (Warmoth) Body: Zebrawood on Alder; Neck: Ebony on Wenge/Purpleheart

97 Ibanez EDB-600 *Purple*

Carvin RSP tube preamp, Carvin CG200 optical compressor, Carvin KB1000 keyboard amp, (2) Carvin MP210 kickback "monitor" cabs (2 10's/horn), Hartke 215BXL

Ibanez GAX-70, totally tricked out: SD 59's, chrome humbucker rings, knobs, etc.
    *Anyone know if I can get chrome binding on the neck?*

Marshall JTM-60 2x12 combo

Kurzweil PC88mx

Pearl/Zildjian/Sabian

Re: What Pickups do I have?!?!

Originally posted by NoFretsMan!
    OK, I have this set of Basslines pickups that I received from Warmoth online. I ordered SJB5 70/74's. Now the model numbers underneath say SJB5n/b. This may be the same thing, or at least similar.

Here's the part I don't get: these pickups have 2-cond & shield wiring, as in, red, white, and bare wires. That sounds like an active pickup to me! But unless I am mistaken, both of the above mentioned models are passive. Now here's the real kicker: these pickups have exposed pole-pieces, unlike all the active pickups I've seen on the site.

Unfortunately, I am discovering this too late to return them. (when I built my bass over a year ago, I had no idea what I had, and I wired red as hot, and white & bare together to ground- and it worked!)

At any rate, I want to figure out what I have, so I can sell them if need be, and get some real passive pickups...

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

67/70 and 70/74 Passive Single Coil Pickups for 5-String Jazz Bass

SJB-5 67/70 / SJB-5 70/74 -- Things change. Cars got air bags. Basketball got the three-point shot. And bass players discovered that by adding a fifth string, they could go lower than ever before. On the other hand, bassists love the elusive tone of the ’62 Fender® Jazz Bass®. How to reconcile the need for extended range with the love for the old, vintage tone? The answer is Basslines’ 67/70™ and 70/74™ five-string passive single coil series. These pickups preserve the tonal “vibe” of the ’62 in a five-string bass. Basslines engineers adjusted the coil geometry and winding configuration to compensate for the different nature of extended range instruments. It’s now possible to capture the subtle characteristics of traditional “J-tone” all the way down to the low “B.”  Kevin Beller, Basslines Chief Engineer and bass player in his own right, comments, “We wanted to capture the famous, old ’62 sound and reproduce it in a 5-string format. Also, now we have the technology to create things, like increased immunity to RF and higher frequency “hash”, that couldn’t be done in ’62.” With these new pickups and a two- or three-band Basslines Tone Circuit™ with the proprietary Slap Switch™, the serious bassist can enhance their tonal palette even further. The 67/70 and 70/74 are not direct replacements for Fender® Jazz V™ basses; however, they’re available in two string spacings that retrofit many five-string instruments without need for modification – 67mm neck with 70mm bridge, and 70mm neck with 74mm bridge. (Measurements taken from B-string to G-string, centerline-to-centerline). All necessary mounting hardware and a detailed wiring diagram are included.  

Your pickups are passive and appear to be what you ordered.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

OK, according to the stickers on the bottom of the pickups, I do indeed have an SJ5 70/74 set. However, the wiring does not match the diagrams.

How do I properly wire passive SJ5 70/74 pickups that have red, white, and bare wires?
        03 Fretless 5 string "Gecko" (Warmoth) Body: Zebrawood on Alder; Neck: Ebony on Wenge/Purpleheart

Carvin RSP tube preamp, Carvin CG200 optical compressor, Carvin KB1000 keyboard amp, (2) Carvin MP210 kickback "monitor" cabs (2 10's/horn), Hartke 215BXL

Ibanez GAX-70, totally tricked out: SD 59's, chrome humbucker rings, knobs, etc.

Kurzweil PC88mx

Pearl/Zildjian/Sabian

Comment

bump

Kurzweil PC88mx

Pearl/Zildjian/Sabian

Comment

Originally posted by NoFretsMan!
            OK, according to the stickers on the bottom of the pickups, I do indeed have an SJ5 70/74 set. However, the wiring does not match the diagrams.

How do I properly wire passive SJ5 70/74 pickups that have red, white, and bare wires?

HELP?!?!?!?

Kurzweil PC88mx

Pearl/Zildjian/Sabian

Comment

Working...
            X