banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are minihums so relatively unpopular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are minihums so relatively unpopular?

I have a set of Seymourized Sm3 in a heavy mahogany body 56 Goldtop Epiphone Les Paul. It is a killer sounding guitar for the classic rock and heavy blues.
    I think I want to do three of the SM3 on a Strat with 5 way blade switch and onboard EQ and three volume pots. Anyone else try three mini's in a setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
      +1 for Lizzy. A Deluxe was Scott Gorham's main guitar until later in his career.
      It was Brian Robertson main guitar also in Lizzy. I think he got his custom by the time of recording Live and Dangerous. Phil bought the deluxes for Brian and Scott.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brianrobertson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	5775905

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
        Thanks for all the great input so far. The reason I started this thread (as some may have realized from some other recent posts I've made) is I recently acquired a set of Gibson 70s tribute minis. As for the pups, I guess from their design and construction (alnico 2 double blade, no exposed poles) they are more accurately Firebird pickups - and not minis like the original Epiphone scaled-down PAFs.

These pickups are not available as aftermarket and are new in the 70s Tributes so it's a small gamble to do a DIY (probably Tele or Telemaster) build with a custom body with virtually nothing to go by. I am rethinking my enthusiasm over the whole idea. Maybe better to stick with a more known formula with more alternatives than being married to a 2xminihum routed body
        FWIW, depending on how hot the winds are, they would make great blues/slide p'ups in an ash body. I'm in the process of designing/building precisely that with a pair of GFS minis.
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

This guy on the Weber Speakers forums has both a Strat with 3 minis, and this Les Paulish Squier M77:
          http://www.tedsforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=13193.0
          As I was saying, he did it first in a Strat, and tried Duncans, Allparts, and Gibson minis and settled on the Duncans.
          If you do a search on the forum, you might find his post about the Strat he did with the minis before he did it with the Squier.

Al

Originally posted by Gnometown Hero View Post
          I have a set of Seymourized Sm3 in a heavy mahogany body 56 Goldtop Epiphone Les Paul. It is a killer sounding guitar for the classic rock and heavy blues.
          I think I want to do three of the SM3 on a Strat with 5 way blade switch and onboard EQ and three volume pots. Anyone else try three mini's in a setup?

Comment

Like Frank and Curly stated, they do sound really good in Fenders, particularly in the neck position.
            I love the SM-1n in a tele.

Here's my version of a TeleGib, only it has a splittable C/59 hybrid/SM-1n. I may try a Lollartron in the bridge eventually.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

^ Nice tele

Have you paired it with Phat Cat in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                ^ Nice tele

Have you paired it with Phat Cat in the bridge?
                I'm inclined to try it. But since the mini hum is hum cancelling, I'd like the bridge to be also. Over the life of this guitar, I may try a fullsize Tron, P Rail, Phat Cat, and Dearmond.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Also remember that there are two different types of "mini" humbuckers, the Firebird type and the Mini-Humbuckers with exposed polepieces. They are constructed differently, and sound different.

Al

Comment

Working...
                  X