banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about exposed wires on a pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about exposed wires on a pickup?

I have an old old MJ wound 59. 2 people here said it was made sometime between 79' and 81'. When I got the pickup I had put a cover on it and recently took it off. When I took it off I noticed the tape that usually goes around the wires is not there. It basically has fallen apart with time, just barely hanging on in pieces hehe. Anyway, there is some sort of black sticky cover, like tar maybe over the coils. You can't see any of the orange wire but the tape is not holding the 2 coils together, the only thing that is, is the baseplate. Will it be fine if there is no tape? I mean, the coils are not exposed....
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Question about exposed wires on a pickup?

The tape is just there to protect the wire on the coils from accidental damage. The tar like substance is probably just the adhesive from the back of the tape that has disintegrated. Re-taping the coils will see it right and protect it for a good few more years yet.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I think I will leave it... it looks like tape is around the coils both individually and around both together... the tar stuff is hard though... I can put pressure on it and nothing happens...

Comment

Should be good in that case - no point in fixin' what ain't broke...
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
          Yeah, maybe it would be better to have tape on the outside but... My strat guard was just off so I could remove the cover... don't want to take it off again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
            Yeah, maybe it would be better to have tape on the outside but... My strat guard was just off so I could remove the cover that was squeeling... don't want to take it off again.

Comment

Working...
            X