TB59 bridge too weak problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB59 bridge too weak problem

I had some pickups lying around. Namely APH-1 bridge uncovered and TB-59 bridge with chrome cover. I decided to try them out in my SG. As the aph-1 was 8.3k (here on the forum they assured that was within tolerance limits) and TB59 was 8.5k I decided on APH for the neck and TB59 for the bridge. The problem is when I put them in I had a BIG difference in volume between the 2. Neck was MUCH louder. So much so that neck parallel split is at least as loud as the bridge. I've tried lowering the neck and raising the bridge, but with the neck flush with pickguard and bridge as close to the strings as I dared, I still had volume difference. I also tried raising the screws, but on the bridge the screws are closer to the actual bridge where the strings hardly vibrate at all so that didn't make much of a difference.

So my questions are these:
    1. Is this becouse APH should go in the bridge and I should get another neck PU?
    2. Should I remove chrome cover from the 59?
    3. Is there something possibly wrong with 59 (allthough ohm readings seem to be fine)?
    4. Is there anything I might do to fix this?

To me it seems as though there is something wrong with the 59. I had 7,4k PU in the neck before APH and the APH isn't that much louder, and I had 8,1k PU in the bridge and that was much louder than the 59, although that one was uncovered.
    Also how much more powerful the bridge should be to compensate for the volume difference? I know they used to be the same, but I hate that volume difference!

Re: TB59 bridge too weak problem

The mid range content in a pickup often determines how loud a pickup is perceived, just as much as output. So, if you put an A5 low output pickup next to an A2 low output pickup, the A2 can seem louder.

You're either better off with a calibrated A5 or A2 set, or a hot A5 and vintage A2.

I'm sorta having that issue with a C5 and Burstbucker 1. They're pretty balanced output-wise, but the mids change when switching between them. The A2 Burstbucker 1 feels and sounds like it wants it's buddy back....the Burstbucker 2. Or the C5 wants a 59N.

The longer I mess with pickups, the more I believe in calibrated sets with magnets of the same type.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The problems of having 2 of the same strength pickups is just what you've found - neck is too loud.
      This is due to the string moving more at the neck pickup area, hence more signal.

The cover, if its a poor one, could well be sucking some of the frequencies which help the pickup cut through. Not all covers are created equally. Some genuine Duncan ones will at least be more transparent.

Getting a neck pickup is usually the best idea.

Comment

The thing is I kind of want to mix A2 with A5. I actually love the sound I get from A2 in the neck, that full smooth midrange Slash/Santana tone and that crunchy bright (but not too treblly/ice pick) A5 in the bridge. If I get a weaker neck would that balance them out, or should I get a stronger bridge? What would be a good SD PU then, does SD sell calibrated A2 neck/A5 bridge set? Or maybe some Dimarzio for the bridge?
        Also I thought the cover shouldn't make that much of a difference?
        I'm sorry for ending every one of mine sentences with a question mark
        Thanks

BTW the cover is original SD one that came with the PU stock.

Comment

Originally posted by spiro2903 View Post
          To me it seems as though there is something wrong with the 59. I had 7,4k PU in the neck before APH and the APH isn't that much louder, and I had 8,1k PU in the bridge and that was much louder than the 59, although that one was uncovered.
          Also how much more powerful the bridge should be to compensate for the volume difference? I know they used to be the same, but I hate that volume difference!
          Is it possible that your 59 has been accidentally degaussed? From your description I can't help think that maybe that magnet might have gone weak.

Comment

I don't think it was exposed to a strong magnetic field. How strong of a field would it have to be, what about customs xray or something?
            I suppose I could change the magnet. If I add an A8 or ceramic in there would that increase the output? What would that do to the tone in terms of high/mid/treble and to the sustain?

Comment

A 59 with A8 in it will put a lot of mids in it will definitely match in output if not be louder then the neck. Ask blueman on here he probably would have experience with A8 in a 59. I put a A8 in my Custom and love it. The output matches well with my PGn with a Polished A3 in it.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I don't think I'd like too much mids in my bridge. That would get me that kind of vowel "awww" sound right? Almost like through a wah pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by spiro2903 View Post
                  The 59 shouldn't be quieter than any other PAF class bridge pickup. Something is broken. You sure you didn't split it be accident?

Comment

The A8 wont sound like A5 if thats what you mean. A5 has a scooped mid quality to it Boomy bass a lot of highs not to many mids which a lot of people say work well in SGs. The A8 is like steroids will boost everything some like it some dont. I like the standard A5 in the 59 or a UOA5 in it. I dont think you would get a vowel sound but definitely bigger and fuller.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I didn't split it nor did I connected 2 coils out of phase. I've tried to connect one of the coils in reverse and the sound was even thinner. Also when I measured it outside the guitar none of the coils were connected to PU casing or the ground wire.
                      So will I have a slightly scooped mids with an A8 like with an A5 or do I just get another A5? Also what about ceramics what would that get me, does anyone know?
                      I'm affraid of loosing some of the pickup's dynamics if I go with a stronger magnet.

Comment

A magnet change won't solve this.

You need to find out why it's weaker than the other PAF.

Comment

Well it's connected OK, and the reading seems fine, also the covers are stock, than that probably just leaves a bad magnet?

Comment

TB59 bridge too weak problem

The cover will round off some highs but won't affect output much.

How well does the TB spacing match the Sg strings? If the Sg has a narrow bridge the E strings might not be tracking well with the trembucker making it sound weaker.

The close output will make a big difference too. You can get a weaker neck aph 1 pickup or try a stronger bridge like a custom 5.

Comment

SG has 50mm spacing and only the 2 outside poles are not totally aligned with the strings, but not by much. The strings are still over them. But the 490t pole pieces were also a bit misaligned. I think I might try with the new A5 magnet first and if that doesn't help probably try another bridge PU.
                              Any recomendation on another bridge PU? Crunchy, good with A2 8,3k neck...

Comment

Working...
                              X