Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Gibson Nighthawk (2 Pickup model) Stock vs Duncan '59

Hi guys,

I have long been a reader of posts in this forum. Quite valuable source of information and you guys have been very helpful. I own a 1994 Gibson Nighthawk Special. (2 pickup model) All the current electronics are stock, but I feel the slanted humbucker is a bit dull and uninspiring. I have the slanted '59 Humbucker model on order, should be here in a few days. I am currently on the fence of actually replacing the current stock pickup. I chose the '59 over the JB so I would have something that would closer balance to the output of the neck firebird/mini hb pickup. I am now concerned that since the '59 has a PAF output, it will sound extremely weak when it is coil split in Position 1. I am not a fan of the JB although I now realize the JB may sound better in the split position while the '59 would sound better (to my ears) in the full humbucker position.

Ideally I would install the pickup myself and decide whether I like it or not. But I told myself not to DIY on any guitar that is more than 10 years old, so I will be paying a pro to do it for me. I would like to know what I should expect if I do decide to replace the pickup, so I don't have to pay a pro twice to install it and remove it in case I don't like it. I play a little bit of everything but more of a focus on blues and classic rock. Keep in mind this is the 2 pickup model and does not have a middle single coil.

Thanks for all the help!!
    Last edited by Chinmann; 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM.
Working...
X