JB vs SH-5 and other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs SH-5 and other things

I recently cleaned up a 74 SG Standard bought from a buddy of mine. The original bridge tarback was gone and replaced with a DiMarzio of some kind, high output. I dropped in a bridge 59 and while I like it and the output level seems matched well to the neck tarback, it seems like it is a little too clean or too much headroom.

Those old tarbacks had ceramic magnets in them but relatively low output if I understand right. I have heard great things about the JBs which have Alnico 5s but saw the SH-5 has similar specs but with a ceramic.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I really like the sound of the old tarbacks and may just break down and buy one on eBay but I wanted to see if there's a SD that might fit the bill. I like the 59 a lot but I want something that pushes and breaks a little more, without sounding fizzy on the highs like Gibson 57s.

sigpic

Re: JB vs SH-5 and other things

The JB model pickups are some of my favorites for an excellent balance of harmonics and sensitivity in the bridge position. I am a fan of Seymour Duncan and his' products. JB whoops.

Comment

Maybe you can try one first and if you don't like it you may take advantage of the 21 day replacement. However you may want to hear other people about which one of those to use and why. Is your SG made of mahogany or some other wood?
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

JB's tend not to go too well with SGs. A lot of people find them not matching up well with the mahogany bodies. The SH-5 is a very organic sounding ceramic pickup and will work great. Probably a much better fit than a JB.

Comment

The SH-5 may have similar specs to the jb in some ways but they are very different pickups! If it were me, I would look at something from the custom line for an SG. Love the jb....but like a alot of guys on here....not so much in mahogany axes. The SH-5 description of being a modern and hot PAF on 'roids is pretty accurate: big, tight low end and powerful highs with a broad but not spiky midrange. The custom5 with an A5 magnet also has prominent highs and lows but a dip in the mid frequencies...probably most akin to the '59 bridge you have but definitely hotter. Tried both in an SG before and like both....depends what you want. Another option would be the 59/custom hybrid!

Comment

Or the Custom8 or the Demon.

Or the Dist2 or the Alt8 if you want less clean.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It does have a mahogany body and an ebony fretboard. I played some more on the 59 last night and I am growing to like it, actually, but it is still pretty clean sounding. I appreciate y'all's feedback on this. I may look into the SH-5 and save the 59 for another guitar, or consider one of these other suggestions too; I was concerned about using a higher output pickup and didn't look into some of the custom options when I bought the '59.

sigpic

Comment

I have JBs in several mahogany bodies, including one with an ebony board. it sounds just fine.

it's one of Duncan's best-selling models for a reason.

Comment

If you like ceramic I think the SH-5 Custom will do it for you.
                  It has a nice organic classic hot sound. I luv the JB but it’s definitely its own thing and can be picky about what guitar it’s in.

Comment

Iīm actually big fan of the Custom in an SG. Retains much of the PAFish character of the 57s, but adds combat boots, steroids and a few razorblades to the tone.

But if you find the 57 fizzy, then the high end of the Custom is probably not what youīre looking for. A Custom8 or Custom5 would probably suit you better.

And as others have stated, you have 21 days to decide if itīs the right one of not, and if not then SD Customer Service will gladly help you choose a different one and exchange them for you,assuming you live in the US or another country where the distributor honors the policy .

I personally donīt like the JB at all in SGs and flying Vs. The guitars had a strong midrange presence as it is, and the JB just pushes that too far over the top IMO. That said I have a love /Hate realationshuip with the JB @ the bridge anyway, I use it primarily as a neck pickup.
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I don't hate the jb but something about the custom just sounds right to my ears.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Would like to try a Demon in my SG. As the Sg is one of Gibson's brightest guitars, at least to my ears, I'm wondering how the Demon's high will sound?

Have an old SG with a Jazz neck and formerly a Custom. Once in awhile, I was bothered by fizzy high notes especially when playing clean.

Decided to try a 59 Custom Hybrid.

Compared to the Custom, it is a ballpark below the Custom in sheer stomping strength. It has stong bass and mids. Also, the fizzy highs seem to be gone for the time being. The 59 Custom hybrid also seems to respond to picking dynamics better than the Custom.

Might not be exactly what you want......
                        That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                        X