498t/490r mag swap audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 498t/490r mag swap audio?

Hey fellas, obviously my first post here but I've been lurking and researching for a while. This forum is fantastic and the wealth of knowledge is priceless.

I have the 498t/490r pickup set in my 2004 SG Standard. When I was younger and played heavy gain mosh metal, the 498 did fine. But I'm venturing out and playing actual music now, so I need both pickups to be usable. I've read a million posts suggesting a magnet swap between the two to help balance them out and bring out their best qualities.

However, I can't seem to find any audio or video clips from anyone that's done this swap. If anyone out there has some media to share, by all means please post it in this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the swap sounds like, be it a compare and contrast track, in a Les Paul or SG, clean, dirty, whatever. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 498t/490r mag swap audio?

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxuCtqpUx8

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

The 498T/490R pair are certainly the odd couple. Many players struggle with finding an amp EQ with them being so mismatched. The 490R benefits greatly from an A5. It opens it up, you get clarity! That alone may be all you need, as it balances with the bridge much better. In my 498T's I tried putting the A2 from the neck in them, and that rounded off too much of the high-end, no matter how much treble I added (and with 500K's). To get some bite, I use A8 and UOA5 magnets. Both add warmth and mids to a stock 498T. The differences being the UOA5 has a more texture and dynamics (an A2 organic kind of feel), while the A8 is higher output with a tighter low-end (more modern-sounding). Both are good, and improvements on the stock versions. They pair up much better too.

490R's simply need a brighter magnet to sound their best. If you like your 498T as-is, fine. If you want it fuller sounding and not as trebley, then try an UOA5 or A8.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

It seems that the 490r with an A5, paired with a 498t would be the Gibson equivalent to 59n/Custom 5, or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
          Thanks bud! The author of the video points out that he preferred the bridge uncovered and the neck covered, but didn't showcase why. I know the argument over just how much covers color tone is a never-ending one, but I wonder just how much covering an A2 498t changes it's sound even more. Either way, I like what I heard and I'm closer to making up my mind about doing the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
            It seems that the 490r with an A5, paired with a 498t would be the Gibson equivalent to 59n/Custom 5, or something like that
            Yes. And the A5 490R is not as bassy as a '59N.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think the next time my guitar needs new strings I'm going to take her apart and do the magnet swap. This, on top of putting KT77's in my JSX soon, should show me a different look at tone in general. I'm excited to make it happen!

Comment

Originally posted by mysquaredontfit View Post
                Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think the next time my guitar needs new strings I'm going to take her apart and do the magnet swap. This, on top of putting KT77's in my JSX soon, should show me a different look at tone in general. I'm excited to make it happen!
                This stuff is easy to get hooked on. When you can improve your tones in a few minutes, for a few dollars, it gives you a whole new outlook towards guitars.

Comment

Working...
                X