Pickups for an Ibanez semi hollow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for an Ibanez semi hollow

I've got an Ibanez AJD81T which I love and it came loaded with Dimarzio PAF Joe (neck) and Steve's Special (bridge) by the previous owner. I'm looking for pickups that work well in jazz and fusion and these Dimarzios aren't doing it for me. Any suggestions?

Re: Pickups for an Ibanez semi hollow

If you tell us what tones you're looking for, maybe we could make an educated guess.

Is it Larry Carlton in the '80s? or '90s? or present tone LC?

Early/late Robben Ford?

George Benson? Joe Pass? Tal Farlow?

Other/s?

Comment

I'm looking for something that sounds like Pat Metheny. Warm tone with just enough articulation. The current pickups are a little too spiky in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jay_ouch View Post
        I'm looking for something that sounds like Pat Metheny. Warm tone with just enough articulation. The current pickups are a little too spiky in my opinion.
        Ok. So, my advice would be the APH1n, even though an A2 modded '59n would do great as well.

A Seth Lover neck and/or a Pearly Gates neck could do no wrong either.

EDIT: I own a Gibson L-5 CES all-maple copy and it's loaded with an A3 neck / A2 bridge modded Duncan Jazz set. This guitar uses 11-56 flatwound strings. This is the most articulated p'up set known to mankind, if you ask me. To bring in the warmth, I use .047 caps.

HTH,
        Last edited by LtKojak; 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X