banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any easy way to equilize output when coil cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any easy way to equilize output when coil cutting?

Have a HSS E-series Squier strat that's due for some surgery. In stock configuration it has a coil cut wired in. I currently have the pickups setup where the output is even on the singles and the coil cut. The side effect is the humbucker overpowers the other pickups something fierce. I'm trying to find a way to normalize these two settings.
    Have been thinking of using a 3p3t mini toggle to have two seperate feeds with the coil cut going to the main volume pot and the humbucking out to a piggybacked pot (adjusted to normalize the output) between the two.

TLDR; how would tandem (piggybacked) 250k volume pots effect tone of a humbucker?

Re: Any easy way to equilize output when coil cutting?

Here's a quick schematic of what I'm thinking:

Comment

What about just a stompbox EQ insead?
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130125_152623_zps5318470c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	5764592

Not sure why the previous image didn't attach, but this image is what I'm thinking for the wiring. I thought about a stomp box but it wouldn't help out with the HB overpowering the singles. Luckily my strat already has three toggles from the factory so I'll only need to wire in is the 3p3t toggle in place of the DPDT currently connected to the HB.

Comment

You could always do an auto-L-pad. This is an idea I had quite some time ago, but I've never tested it. No reason for it not to work though. There's no rocket-science here.

Name:	5-way_L-Pad.png
Views:	2
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	5764593

You can also do it with a simple SPDT switch.

Name:	L-Pad-05.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	5764594

That last diagram shows the resistor values depending on whether you're using a 250k or 500k pot.

Comment

when i first installed a humbucker in my Strat and it was way louder than the single coils, I was all, "Oh sweet! Built in boost!"
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              You could always do an auto-L-pad. This is an idea I had quite some time ago, but I've never tested it. No reason for it not to work though. There's no rocket-science here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38119[/ATTACH]

You can also do it with a simple SPDT switch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38120[/ATTACH]

That last diagram shows the resistor values depending on whether you're using a 250k or 500k pot.
              So rather than using a pot, your thinking of soldering in some resistors to even the output. Two paths to the same result. Best question is how would either of these options effect the sound (besides the intended lowered volume) that the pickup puts out.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "rather than using a pot". You keep the volume pot. In the 1st diagram, it's just one resistor.
                A simple -3db or -6db L-pad. When you go to the full-bridge position, the L-pad comes into play, equalizing the volume. It shouldn't affect the pickup characteristics at all. Thats the whole point of an L-pad. It's invisible to the circuit except for the voltage drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  when i first installed a humbucker in my Strat and it was way louder than the single coils, I was all, "Oh sweet! Built in boost!"
                  that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Comment

The main purposes of having a humbucker instead of the single coil is to get a thicker more powerful tone...a boost to tone and output. If you don't want that why not replace the humbucker with a single coil?

I don't get why you want the hummer instead of the single, but then you want to cut down the hummer to be like a single not a hummer.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I want to buy a car with a V8 instead of a little 4 cylinder engine. But I want to put a governer on the V8 so it will only go as fast as the 4.

There must be some logic to this. I just can't find it.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "rather than using a pot". You keep the volume pot. In the 1st diagram, it's just one resistor.
                        A simple -3db or -6db L-pad. When you go to the full-bridge position, the L-pad comes into play, equalizing the volume. It shouldn't affect the pickup characteristics at all. Thats the whole point of an L-pad. It's invisible to the circuit except for the voltage drop.
                        My idea is to use an extra volume Pot to decrease the output. That's what I meant with "Rather than using a pot".

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        I want to buy a car with a V8 instead of a little 4 cylinder engine. But I want to put a governer on the V8 so it will only go as fast as the 4.

There must be some logic to this. I just can't find it.
                        Speed isn't what I'm going for with this build ... the growl of the engine is what I'm going for. V8 has a deeper growl (humbucker), 4 cylinder has a noticeable wine (single's). In essence I'm trying to adjust the mufflers whereas the deep growl doesn't obnoxiously drown out the tailored wine of the 4 cylinder.

When going for speed I prefer the "0" Piston turbocharged 13B rotary I have sitting in my miata ... 400hp + 2k lb car = ear to ear grin for days.

Comment

Originally posted by wildman923 View Post
                          My idea is to use an extra volume Pot to decrease the output. That's what I meant with "Rather than using a pot".
                          Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, you could use a pot, wired as a rheostat, in place of my resistor. That way, you'd have auto-L-pad and you could tweak the level to your preference. Should work great.

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, you could use a pot, wired as a rheostat, in place of my resistor. That way, you'd have auto-L-pad and you could tweak the level to your preference. Should work great.
                            That's what I'm hoping. My main concern with this is how it will effect the sound. Will tandom 250k pots (both at full for example) have the same effect of a 500k pot and dampen the high end?

Comment

Originally posted by wildman923 View Post
                              That's what I'm hoping. My main concern with this is how it will effect the sound. Will tandom 250k pots (both at full for example) have the same effect of a 500k pot and dampen the high end?
                              If anything, it will be just the opposite...the 500k increases high end (compared to 250k), not dampens it.

Comment

Working...
                              X