banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What P90 is closest to the sound of a Phat Cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What P90 is closest to the sound of a Phat Cat?

The title says it all really, but I recently put a set of Hot P90's in my Gibson 135 an as desperately as I want to love them, they're just not doing it for me. They're really muddy in this guitar and really noisy! I absolutely LOVE the sound of Phat Cats and I'd really like to get that sound from this guitar. Is there a SD p90 that gets close to that sound? If there's nothing stock, I am seriously considering going the Custom Shop. But I'd sure like to save some money if possible.

Thanks in advance!

www.guardiancustoms.com

Re: What P90 is closest to the sound of a Phat Cat?

Custom Shop might be the only real answer here...unless you're willing to route the guitar!

However you might try a set of vintage P-90's with alnico II magnets...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Phat Cats have A2's, which make the neck PU much darker and muddier (common complaint here) than typical P-90's with A5's. The A2's in turn make the bridge weak and thin. Not really the right magnets for those PU's (I have 9 Phat Cats and took out all the A2's and gave them away to forum members). However, if you're intent on getting 'that Phat Cat sound', put a couple A2's in any P-90.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going to try out the Vintage set before I go Custom Shop... I know it's not for everyone, but I really love my phat cat set.

Also... is there a reason I might be getting extra noise out of these current P90's (SD Hot Soapbars)? I am accustomed to 60 cycle hum because all of my guitars have single coils in them, but these are just super noisy. I chalked that up to just because they're "hot" p90's, but I could be wrong. When I replaced them (which is a huge PITA btw) all I did was unsolder the terrible P100's and resolder these in place. Did I miss something that I needed to ground when going from humbuckers to p90's?! That may seem like a weird question, but it's pretty excessive noise.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Plastic covers allow more noise than metal ones, less shielding.
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

P90s are naturally noisey. More noisey than Fender singles. The Phat Cat is much less noisey than the typical P90.

Comment

You've got two problems with the Hot P-90:

1. It has high output which can make it sound "muddy",

2. It has more bass and mids due to the extra winding which can make it sound muddy.

A vintage P-90 has less output, less bass, less mids and more treble. All of these will make it more clear (less muddy) sounding. The tone can be tweaked with mag swapping.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You could always line the plastic cover with copper shielding tape, a friend of mine did this with a soapbar set, mind you, it won't take all the noise out, but it does knock it back some
                6 pieces of wood with wires
                1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
                1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
                a wood box with 2 big round black things.
                1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

Originally posted by 925SS View Post
                  You could always line the plastic cover with copper shielding tape, a friend of mine did this with a soapbar set, mind you, it won't take all the noise out, but it does knock it back some
                  I use a piece of aluminum foil inside plastic PU covers, and punch out holes for the pole pieces.

Comment

You have to know where to Stand , and don't move from there.... Get your Sweet Spot on stage..... Lol !

Comment

Working...
                    X