banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a SSH config using an RTM...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a SSH config using an RTM...

Hello all. I wish I had something more constructive to contribute as a first post, but being honest, I came to the forum looking for help with SD pickups. So, I'll just let it all out...

I have a couple of guitars that I want to switch the pickups on. They both use a SSH configuration. I'm going to start with one, and compare how the new pickups change the tone they currently have. It's mainly going to be a rock guitar (I'm not looking for super high-gain tones though... More like classic and hard rock gain levels).
    I've chosen to go with a Custom Shop Warren De Martini RTM humbucker for the bridge, mainly because I'm familiar with JB's, and I hear this pickup is kinda in that territory. I need some help selecting two single-coils for the mid and neck positions. These are my tone guidelines for any recommendations...
    1. First and foremost, similar output to the humbucker. I wouldn't like to hear a dramatic change in gain when I switch pickups.
    2. For the mid pickup, nothing too "glassy". Moderate high frequencies suit my playing more.
    3. For the neck pickup, I'd like to preserve that throaty Strat-like typical neck tone. That would be awesome.

I guess that's it. The guitar has an ash body with a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. I use .010-.052's on these guitars.
    Any suggestions are welcome. This is the first time I go for a full pickup replacement on a guitar to change its tone. Also, comments on the RTM are appreciated. Cheers all!

Re: Suggestions for a SSH config using an RTM...

You could try the Quater pounders if you want true single coils that can keep up with a bucker or a hot rails or hot stack or the lil screamin demon which I have in the middle of my strat and I love it very articulate under gain and very quiet
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Thanks a lot Rockstar! I'll check 'em out.

Comment

No problem
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Hey Rockstar. I noticed that the pickups you mentioned are classified as high output in the SD website. Can these pickups still clean up nicely and deliver clean tones? Thanks for your help!

Comment

If you are fine with Dimarzio, the 54 Pro in middle and Heavy Blues 2 in neck is superb. You could even swap physical positions between them if needed. I have them paired with an AT-1 in the bridge.

I have or have tried almost everything Dimarzio makes with Alnico and tried nearly all of their S type ceramics. Among the few Duncans I have not tried are the Quarter Pounders, but I hear they can be muddy. Vintage Stack is ok, Classic Stacks and Vintage Rails are probably too glassy / vintage as will be most of Duncan's single coil line up. The Cool Rails was a good smooth neck pickup and Little 59 was muddy, which neither are Strat tone to me.

The Dimarzios I mentioned and the Area 61 are great for what you are asking. All are hum cancelling.
            Last edited by MultiCaster; 01-27-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Multicaster! Great suggestions. I'll definitely check them out too. I had considered looking at DiMarzio also... S thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Comment

I can say that the lil screamin demon does clean up very well for me but im not playing through a very high gain amp and I dont use a lot of gain to begin with. To get my cleans I usually roll back on my vol knob with my distortion on. I either use my lil screamin demon or my Pearly Gates neck for my cleans and they both work great. Im pretty sure the quarter pounder should clean up nicely but you will still get that 60 cycle hum. What type of amp are you playing, do you use pedals?

Comment

I've got a Line 6 DT-50 and an old Marshall JCM900. I use lots of pedals (not all at the same time, of course). I'm not looking to send things into crazy distortion territories. I actually like to have the amp dialed on just slightly dirty, and get the rest of my dirt from pedals (overdriven, distortion, or boosters, depending on what I'm going for).
                  Thanks for all the pointers people!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Toonman!! Here is some info I got when looking for the same thing. I was specifically looking at the quarter pounders as that is coming in a WDM sig guitar these days, but apparently isnt the best fit..

Im in the same boat and considering a RTM too.. Good luck with the project!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks a lot Blood Rose! Interesting information there. I'll check those 1/4lbs out... (with fries...).

Comment

Working...
                      X