High Output vs. Low Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Output vs. Low Output

My number one is an HSS strat and I have come to really appreciate PAF bridge pickups. I think they respond better to picking dynamics than high output types and I think they sound more musical. They balance with neck and middle singles well. They still have enough power to push my JTM45 over the edge a bit, but they don't compress the crap out of the front end of my Jubilee.

I have a Dimarzio Tone Zone in my maple Charvel. However, it was chosen more to go with the maple tonewise, and because I could get it in double cream, rather than output.

Comment

It really depends on the guitar for me. I like my bridge pickups to have some grunt, and usually like the higher-output stuff. But pickups like the Pearly Gates and the Burstbucker 3 (both under 9k) sound great in the right guitar. I wouldn't pass up a good sounding low-to-mid output pickup if the tone was solid.
      MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Is PATB-1 hot output?
        I have a set incoming.I expect it to sound like a hotter PAF.But how hot?

Comment

Originally posted by flavorednation View Post
          Is PATB-1 hot output?
          I have a set incoming.I expect it to sound like a hotter PAF.But how hot?
          They say the bridge version is hotter than PATB3 Blues bridge, which is voiced like a PAF. The PATB1 is about 15.7k DC resistance and uses A5 magnet. The PATB3 bridge is 9.8K with an A5 mag. I assume the PATB3 uses 42 guage wire and the PATB1 uses 43. 10k is way over wound for a A5 PAF, but the different masgnetic field of a PA may have something to do with that.

Comment

I like both but I have only 1 guitar so I am using a HSS configuration. Why I like high output? I like how high output pickups get a more fat/crunch sound from the bride for those metal riffs. Why I like low output? I think low output can get a rich sound from the neck position and I like how single coils gets along with overdrive, and I get quack which I like very much.

You can always try what some people would call "medium" output to try to get the best of both worlds into one single pickup.

Currently I have STK-S10/SSL-1/TB-4 so I would say I have medium,low and high outup in my guitar and each one has something very cool to add to the "sound palette" of my guitar.
            Last edited by IMENATOR; 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have found I like classic output necks, and Ceramic screamer bridges. But in general, for a lot odf mega-dirt applications, I think low output is just more clear and articulate. Iy may not be METULZ, but it sounds better.

That said - the high outputs I like, I generally like for ceramic tone and the EQ curve more than anything else.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like low output pickups...single coils or humbuckers, doesn't matter...

Low output pickups give you more clarity and a bigger more open sound and I can crunchy it up, compress it or make it louder with the right amp and or the right stomp box but I've yet to hear a box that could make a hot pickup sound nice and open and clear.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Low output neck 'buckers, medium-to-high output bridge 'buckers.

Comment

Working...
                  X