How to check DC Resistance when winding a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check DC Resistance when winding a pickup

I'm thinking about getting into pickup winding, as I want something unique that I can be proud to say I made myself.
    I've been looking at the DIY Pickup winders, which I'll probably use. What I can't seem to find is how to check
    DC resistance while I'm in the process of winding. Or maybe there's a way to guess based on how many winds?
    I want to make myself a high output Alnico 8 humbucker, wound to something like 16-17k.

Thanks for any help!

Re: How to check DC Resistance when winding a pickup

You'd have to sand through the insulation and take a reading to do that. Then you can just reinsulate with some nail polish, or you could just skip reinsulating if you are lazy. Doing that may be useful when you are first designing your pickups, but once you get past a few of them, you'll be able to wind the pickups based on the number of turns.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I remember reading on the Lollar book that you can lightly sand thru the insulation to get a reading and then use a spray can of lacquer to reinsulate the wire. Reinsulating is necessary if you're gonna be checking the DR resistance frequently to keep the coil from shorting. I don't remember if there's any more info about that as I don't have the book anymore but there was some good information on the subject.

Comment

You DON'T do that.

That's the wrong way to do it.

Get this book. That's the best investment ever!

HTH,

Comment

Working...
        X