So I had an idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I had an idea...

I've had my Strat up for sale for a while now without getting any interesting offers, so I'm thinking about keeping it and just doing something very different with it instead. I use this as my standard tuned guitar, and my other for 1.5 steps down. Here's an example of what I use it for:

Most of my tone comes from my '68 Bassman and my Big Muff clone. I've also got my sights set on a really nice JMP in a box type pedal that I plan on using a lot.

So I was thinking, "Why don't I just get this guitar routed and convert it to HH?" I did that for my other strat and I love it. Of course, the next logical question is, what kind of pickups?

I was thinking about a 59/C for the bridge - a mix of vintage tone with (a little more than) a touch of extra power. Is there a different pickup that might work better in this guitar for my needs?

I'm really not sure what to look at for the neck. I've got a PG in the neck of my neck-thru strat that I really really like, but I've heard those pickups are bright in your average strat. Maybe a 59 and a slew of magnets to experiment with?

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in a humbucker in this guitar, as I've no idea how it sounds with them. So maybe you could just give me a few suggestions and how you think they'd sound in my rig? Thanks so much.

Also, I plan on getting a parchment pickguard, giving the pickups covers, and going vol/vol/tone with a LP style toggle switch. I think it'll look great on this guitar. Or maybe a mint guard...? ****, I'm indecisive
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

So I had an idea...

You've already got a HH Strat. I'd keep it as it is.

Or put a Twangbanger in the bridge.

Or, if you're determined to rout it, how about P90s? Maybe Phat Cats or similar. Or even Prails could be really cool.

Also, I've edited this post like three times because of typos. I hate typing on Iphones.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Re: So I had an idea...

I'm with Kam . . . you've already got an HH Strat. Having said that, I've got a cool wiring idea, (partially tested), for a Strat. It will give you the best of both worlds.

I just need to re-wire mine up first, to make sure it works like I think it should.

Stay tuned.

Comment

P90's aren't a bad idea - I thought they didn't fit in strats though because of the width/depth requirements.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

You're already talking about routing it for HH, not a big deal to rout for P-90, instead. But the P-Rails idea is a really good one.

Demon works really well in the neck.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            You're already talking about routing it for HH, not a big deal to rout for P-90, instead. But the P-Rails idea is a really good one.

Demon works really well in the neck.
            How would you describe the tone of the Demon in the strat versus a PG? I believe they're slightly similar - both slightly hotter than vintage PAF types, right?
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

You are correct. They are very similar. But the Demon is a little smoother sounding, doesn't have that "rudeness" of the PG. Plus it has a little more even sounding EQ. It has a 10k ohm resistence which would seemingly be a lot hotter than PAF, but it performs very much like a lower output pup...very clean and articulate. But it has a beast hiding inside that awaits your beckon call.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                You are correct. They are very similar. But the Demon is a little smoother sounding, doesn't have that "rudeness" of the PG. Plus it has a little more even sounding EQ. It has a 10k ohm resistence which would seemingly be a lot hotter than PAF, but it performs very much like a lower output pup...very clean and articulate. But it has a beast hiding inside that awaits your beckon call.
                Interesting. That sounds like a great pickup for my strat. I'm thinking a 59/Custom + Demon combo is the best option.

It might seem a bit redundant to have two strats with humbuckers, but my other strat is not really a strat at all - it's male neck thru with mahogany wings and it even has a gibson scale length. It only looks like a strat.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                X