Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pearly Gates Opinions...

To the OP:
    Jackson in their in their wisdom decided to put PG's stock in the custom shop kelly you ordered. Nice axe, nice pickups. See how the thing sounds for a few weeks before you go looking to change the pickups. They might be perfect for you. If not, come back in a few weeks and tell us what you'd like to change about your sound - or let us know what you like about it. Can they handle high gain? yes. Are they the right pickups for your sound? Let is know in a few weeks. Its your axe and your tone.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
      I love the PGn I think its the pup that should be in all LPs as standard.
      As a LP fan, I can't go along with that. Now if you would have said Seths...
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        As a LP fan, I can't go along with that. Now if you would have said Seths...
        I honestly want to try a pair of Seths i've never owned a set but would love to try em. I can only imagine how good they sound clean or with just a lil dirt.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by sdrizis89 View Post
          Looks like a custom or custom 5 will be installed shortly after bringing it home. Hopefully I like it! How do those two compare to each other?

Also what if I swapped the magnet on the bridge pup to an A5?
          I would give the neck PG some time before messin with it.

the Custom 5... I would go with the regular Custom ceramic mag SH-5.
          Custom 5 I found had a 90s Rock power chord sound but everything else out of it was flat and uninspired lacking harmonic spark. The regular Custom is a no brainer for rock and metal; it’s tight, it screams, it has a usable full tone spectrum.

I luv the JB it’s hit or miss in mahogany – I dig it in two of my mahogany guitars, it sounded like it was stuck in a drain pipe in a third guitar.

The Invader I had some experience with a long time ago… I remember it killed for everything Hi-Gain METAL but was kind of dark and sometimes clunky for anything else.
          Haven’t tried the Duncan Distortion.

59bridge is awesome for Rock, blues, everything? First instinct is there are better pups for modern metal. I mostly do artsy-gothy-darkalternative-atmospherepop stuff (used to do more Industrial metal like ministry, kmfdm, r zombie) and I often find myself wanting more oomphf from the 59bridge but it does give you more complexity and more the sound of the wood in the guitar.
          Last edited by CountFeedback; 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
            I honestly want to try a pair of Seths i've never owned a set but would love to try em. I can only imagine how good they sound clean or with just a lil dirt.
            Then you really need to get a set. I think they're the flagship of the Duncan PAF line.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Then you really need to get a set. I think they're the flagship of the Duncan PAF line.
              THIS.

i put some seths in a chambered LP studio, and it was the best sounding guitar i've ever played, to this day.

i would never use them for metal though.
              Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Is there a "YAWN" smilie? I guess is the closest.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The PGs are one of my favorite humbuckers sets ever made. They manage to be warm and "chewy," but without sacrificing a cutting high end. They have a lot of personality and are good dynamically in response to your picking/plucking. They are extremely versatile, but without sounding bland/generic. IMHO, if you can't get a good tone from them, you just need to try harder. They can do almost anything with the right setup of your amp and/or pedals.

That said, you may find them a bit overbearing on the low end under very high gain, unless you can dial out enough of the low end using your amp's e.q. controls and/or an accessory e.q. device of some sort...which should not be a problem with most amps. Just turn down the bass and lower mids, really far if necessary.

If you are used to pumping a hotter signal into your amp by way of high-output pickups, you will find yourself having to adjust to the PGs' relatively low output by using different amp settings and changing your right hand attack to be more dynamic. They have tone for days, but they don't necessarily slam the front end of your amp the way that high-output pickups do. However, in the end you will actually find yourself getting a clearer and more versatile sound than with high output pickups. Whether or not you want that is up to you.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    Is there a "YAWN" smilie? I guess is the closest.
                    Must be past your bedtime.

Comment

Folks,

Yes, I realize that I'm jumping topics a bit and forgive me. If you want me to repost as a seperate thread, I will.

This topic brought up a question as I have never used a PG but have shad some unpleasant experiences with a 57.
                      How does the PG neck pickup compare with a Gibson 57 neck pickup?
                      Am interested in the response of the bass and treble strings.

Is the bass tigher or spongier than a 57?
                      Is the high end sharper or brighter than a 57?
                      Which pickup is the better choice to be used clean and under OD/distortion to give a smooth and/or singing voice.

Thanks.
                      That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                      And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                        Folks,

Yes, I realize that I'm jumping topics a bit and forgive me. If you want me to repost as a seperate thread, I will.

This topic brought up a question as I have never used a PG but have shad some unpleasant experiences with a 57.
                        How does the PG neck pickup compare with a Gibson 57 neck pickup?
                        Am interested in the response of the bass and treble strings.

Is the bass tigher or spongier than a 57?
                        Is the high end sharper or brighter than a 57?
                        Which pickup is the better choice to be used clean and under OD/distortion to give a smooth and/or singing voice.

Thanks.
                        I don't think either one is the best PAF either company makes. I much prefer Seth's and BB's.

Comment

Well i figured id give u guys a little update. The lower output pearly gates are not too bad at playing some heavier stuff. I play through and engl savge 120, a very highgain amp as most of u probably know. I keep the gain around noon on my other jackson with high output pups. There is a lead boost option on my amp and it basically boosts the gain a little but also the low end as well. This lead boost button basically tightened up the low end big time. Before using the lead boost option the pearly gates bridge was sort of flubby but not too bad. The pickup is very clear tho. More clarity and dynamics than high output pups. Its like taking the bad with the good on this one. Going to play around with it for a little before i decide to swap them or not. These pups kill for blues/rock/anything other than metal. Very nice pickups!! I might have to throw them in my les paul
                          Last edited by sdrizis89; 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I've about tried every high output Duncan out there (at least the standard production ones) so I gave the PG a go (seen here in my Ibanez S420)& they do fine for intense distortion settings. If you have a good distortion source to complement them with, the PGs won't fail you- I play black metal mostly.

I play this guitar through my

1. Laney Iron Heart
                            2. Marshall JVM with a tubescreamer in the FX loop
                            Last edited by bloodswords; 02-20-2013, 05:37 AM.
                            Psychic Horns

Comment

still thinking about swapping the bridge but im going to play with it more...if i do swap it, it will be an SH-5 or a BKP Nailbomb.

I wonder how a BKP nailbomb would pair with a PGn. Volume differences? two different companies?

Comment

Use a pearly gates bridge in the neck with a nailbomb bridge.

Nailbomb bridge: 15.7k
                                Nailbomb neck: 9.8k

PGb is about 8.3k
                                PGn is about 7.3k
                                PG+ is about 8.6k
                                Last edited by rumblebox; 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM.
                                Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Working...
                                X