banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love my SH-2 jazz neck, what humbucker for strat sounds closest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my SH-2 jazz neck, what humbucker for strat sounds closest?

Hi,
    I do not want to try and change anything physically, just a S.Duncan only to fit in the neck of a strat given my fondness of SH-2 jazz. Now that I think of it, I guess all Humb. for strat are molded anyway, so no fiddling is possible.
    I have a 57/62 fender in the middle and a Seth Lover in the bridge with an A5 Mag. The interplay between 2 and 4 positions give me the ability to get a S.Coil alone, and semi quack with the 2 and 4.
    I have an H-S-H pickgaurd but it only comes in white, and I have looked and called, even Fender says thy have no other color except for Pearl. It is now nickel SH-2, fender 57/62, and S.Lover A5 nickel in bridge.
    So the white looks awful w/ full HB,S.C.,full bridge H.B. I can go tort. with one bridge full humbucker or red pearl. Dont want to do any more manual labor cutting pickgaurds, plus they look sh***y homemade (at least by me).
    My first guess would be a Lil 59, but I need your help.
    Thank you,
    Steve

Re: I love my SH-2 jazz neck, what humbucker for strat sounds closest?

I would use one of the classic stacks instead. Lil 59 is a nce pickup, but too weak when coil cut. Either way, it will sound ****ty with your 57/62 middle pickup.

The classic stacks are hum cancelling by themselves, but you can kill the dummy coiil when combining it with your 57/62. Then that notch position would sound like 2 57/62's together. Very nice!!!

the STK-S4 is a very similar voicing to the 57/62. The STK-S7 has more snarl, kind of like a Texas special. Neither sounds like a jazz, but both sound great in a Strat!!!

PS...CALL TECH SUPPORT BEFORE YOU BUY! Duncans and Fenders are sometimes screwy in the North/South, top coming/top going department. You may actuallly need to use a Duncan middle pickup in the neck to go with the Fender middle. Either that or you may just have reverse the wires on the Fender
    Last edited by dotsdad; 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM.
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

check out the Warmoth site for a custom pickguard. you can pretty much design whatever you want.

as for a single-size that will sound like a Jazz. wow. that's going to be rough. from the Duncan end, the Lil '59 may actually be the closest to a Jazz hum. but that's still not saying that it's going to sound like a Jazz. DiMarzio might be an option to check in to. either way, you might be best served by calling SD or DMZ and asking them what they have that is closest to what you are looking for.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
        I do want to stay with Duncan as I have learned most of the language here and feel comfortable with what some of these pickups sound like. I don't really want to get into coil splitting. I'm not happy with the "stacked" single coil pups much. I have tried a couple and they sound bland to me. I get so frustrated with calling Duncan, i am the "next caller" for an hour every time i have tried in the last 12 months or so.
        I have left Scott Marceau many e-mails and many voice mails and have got not one, not one reply. I have spoken to him before and wish I could now but I can't get a peep out of him. I respect him and his advice. And I respect the Forums advice (even in between insults!).
        Thanks for the Warmoth idea, hope they are reasonably priced. Maybe, though they are narrow, if I took out the neck side screws and left the bridge side screws in that might be just the mod that takes the least amount of effort an just enough to give the 'Lil 59 a tweak toward a little more brightness. I know even some of the weirdest, smallest things can turn the trick enough to do the job.
        I have had that same wiring problem when mixing S. Coils W/full humbuckers and it's a pretty easy fix, thanks though, for pointing that out not just for me but others reading also.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X