AHB-1 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHB-1 help

A year ago I bought two of these bridge pups and put them in my LTD where they have stayed, untouched. I had it wired normal with a tone and a volume. About a month ago I was playing it and it started to cut out, turn off for a split second, along with the loud and annoying popping noise. I looked at the wiring and everything was still intact, solder joints are perfect. About a week ago I decided to wire it with two volumes since I never use the tone control and the guitar is for metal. Again I soldered everything perfectly, no cold solders. Well the pickups are still cutting out. I checked the battery and it could be used to jump start a car (not really obviously). Since I don't do pickup/electronic swaps with this guitar I'm thinking the jack could be bad. Do these things even go bad? There's nothing to them. Any advise would help, JB's don't really cut it for metal.
    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
    Blackstar HT5-H.
    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Re: AHB-1 help

It could be the jack... Sometimes the contacts on the jack itself gets dirty and need to be cleaned. The best thing to use is contact cleaner. If you can't find or get any, use rubbing alcohol. Take the jack out of the guitar and dip the head of a Q-Tip in alcohol and clean the contact pins on the jack where they would touch the cord end. I would also take a cotton ball and clean the contact ends of your cord too, just to be safe.

I do have one question for you though regarding the soldering... When you made the connections, did you blow on them to cool them?

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post
      I do have one question for you though regarding the soldering... When you made the connections, did you blow on them to cool them?
      No. since solder solidifies in like 3 seconds I never found the point of speeding that up. I think I took some 500 grit sandpaper to the jack before, could've been one of my others though, I cant remember. I'll pull the jack out and check it/ clean it.
      LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
      Thinline W/GFS Classic II
      Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
      LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
      Blackstar HT5-H.
      Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

If it's not the jack, I'm not really sure what it could be. I mean there might be a wire bent or loose/frayed or making contact somewhere that could be causing it too, so I'd check all those again just to be safe and sure.

Good luck, it's gotta be something simple.

Comment

Working...
        X