Pickups for Yamaha SA2200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Yamaha SA2200

I have a pot or 2 going flaky on it. While its apart to fix that I figured it may be a good time to swap pickups. Seth Lover seems the obvious choice for the neck slot of a Semi-Hollow. I like the idea of a Seth for the bridge but I like that the current pickup balances well with the neck which also helps with the single coil sounds as well. Not sure what to go with. A Custom Custom is the leading candidate I think. JB seems too aggressive. A C5 perhaps. I like the idea of "vintage vibe" (Think Larry Carlton) on this guitar but that's really not what it is today.

Re: Pickups for Yamaha SA2200

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
    I like the idea of "vintage vibe" (Think Larry Carlton) on this guitar but that's really not what it is today.
    I'd go with an A3 '59n / UOA5 '59b or my new full-hollow favorite: A3 Jazz neck, A2 Jazz bridge.

The first nails latest Carlton, the second nails early Carlton.

HTH,

Comment

Larry main ES-335 is a 1968 model and is stock...the pickups are very low output alnico 5 pickups...

If you really want to get close to that sound short of going custom shop I'd get a pair of covered 59 neck pickups however many people say they want vintage output pickups until they get them and realize how weak they really are in most cases.

If you want a little more in the bridge go for a 59 set.

If you want even a little bit more a 59n and a Brobucker bridge, however if you can't get a used Brobucker you'll have to go CS and it's gonna cost more than a standard Duncan...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have a Brobucker, Seth set, Antiquity set, 59 set, and PG set in various guitars. I know what PAF style is all about so no worries there. The stock pickups in the Yamaha are not PAF style and I am still deciding if I want to go old school and rip out the coil splits etc or stay more modern with it. I like the versatility of the switching but this style of guitar just begs for old school vibe....

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
          I have a Brobucker, Seth set, Antiquity set, 59 set, and PG set in various guitars. I know what PAF style is all about so no worries there. The stock pickups in the Yamaha are not PAF style and I am still deciding if I want to go old school and rip out the coil splits etc or stay more modern with it. I like the versatility of the switching but this style of guitar just begs for old school vibe....
          If I was you, I'd start with an A3n/UOA5b Seth set.

500K pots and '50s wiring is mandatory.

Low output but MONSTROUS vintage tone. The good, bright PAF tone similar to Larry's goldtop Les Paul loaned to Robben Ford.

For a sharper tone, A4s would be my first choice for the modding.

HTH,
          Last edited by LtKojak; 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X