Pup coil-taps on its own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup coil-taps on its own?

Hey guys, I need some advice from senior masterminds here.

It's about a Godin pickup from an Artisan series, it's a SC-sized humbucker, just like Hot Rails. It's a 4-conductor + bare, again just like any other SD of this type. I knew this thing was hot immediately I plugged in. Initially it only needed an audio taper pot and even before I did that I measured the pups resistance since I always do that, it's just plain curiosity. It was reading 17k and the pole wires that are usually taped off if you don't split the coils, read 9k, which I think is completely in the ballpark. I left the guitar sitting for a day on my bench, got up another morning, I was checking for any crappy solder joints and improper ground continuity, again measuring the pups resistance just for fun. This time it read 9k and the red and white (actually blue and white in this case) read mere 0.30k Ohm. Something was wrong. At first I suspected the two coil-split wire most be shorting out between themselves or to ground somehow, but this wasn't the case. I let it sit. Came back after 20 minutes and it read 17k again, there wasn't even a slightest breeze that could disrupt the guitar meanwhile. After an hour or two it read 9k again, and I started running in circles. After some fooling around I wanted to pull the pup and immediately after I touched the bottom centre where the cable goes in it jumped from 9k to 17k again. I tried squeezing and pressing lightly in various areas, from time to time it jumped back to 9k, but most of the time it stayed at 17. At this time I can do anything and it won't drop to 9k again. I'll see tomorrow. Right now it gives an impression it has stabilized at 17k, but I bet it will read 9k after an hour or two.
    One more thing, the exact reading is 17.75k. Whenever I move the pup it jumps between 17.35k and 18.05k. Which is a bit weird, I tried every other spare pup I have and it doesn't do that at all.

The bottom of this pickup is completely sealed with epoxy so without exploding it completely no resoldering or rewinding is possible. What do you think, guys? It is somehow getting clear this thing is probably busted and over time one could expect even bigger problems.

The color scheme is the following:

- red (hot)
    - bare (to GND)
    - black (to GND)
    - blue and white tied together

Thanks!

Re: Pup coil-taps on its own?

Forgot to mention, this pup is now installed in a Strat and I was told it was taken from the AT series (it even bares a Godin logo).

Comment

Your pup has a broken wire/connection which is shorting when you move it around. If it's epoxied, it's toast.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hey Doc, I was hoping for your reply. It seems so yes, I have had the pup on the table since yesterday constantly hooked up to multimeter, besides 9k and 17k I also had interesting readings of 12k, 14k and 18k all of them keeping steady for an hour or so.

I noticed if put pressure on the sides of the pup and try to bend it like a banana it goes up one way and drops down in the other direction.
        Possibly a too tight winding that gave up over the years of expanding and contracting?

Comment

I've had this happen with lots of pickups and the problem maybe a cold solder joint. Try touching the solder pads on the back of the pickup with a hot solder iron, especially if some are bright and shiny and some are dull looking. Touch the dull looking ones. This may bring the pickup back to life. Good Luck!

Comment

Can't do that, it's what we call a MAINTENANCE FREE PICKUP. Meaning once it breaks you are allowed to cry.
            Okay, seriously, it is completely epoxied, I can even see a some of it oozing out on the other side where the two blades are. Because of that much epoxy I don't even think these are waxed otherwise epoxy wouldn't stick so if one would want to rip it apart it would ruin the coils entirely. Looks like it was just pressure blown into the pickup.

Comment

Working...
            X