Neck Pickups For Blues On A Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Pickups For Blues On A Strat?

I was wondering what pickups do you guys like on the neck position of Strats with Alder body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard guitar for blues/jazz/fusion?
    Main Equipment:
    Burny Flametop Les Paul ("talk about a heavy sound")
    Marshall 8100 head ("mmmmmmm Marshall crunch")
    B52 4x12 Cab (POWER!!)
    Boss Ns2 ("shh shhh")
    Boss DD3 ("let me take u to another universe baby")
    Digitech Jamman Solo ("mmmmm hours and hours of heavy metal fun")

Re: Neck Pickups For Blues On A Strat?

Do you want the pup to be a true single coil or a rail size bucker?
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I'm a jazzy blues player and I use Duncan Antiquity Surfers.

That's what's in the white Strat in my avatar, along with a Duncan Custom Shop alnico 2 Tele Hot Tapped bridge pickup.
      Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

well rockstar216 as long as it doesnt have 60s hum it doesnt really matter to me.
        and
        lewguitar ive heard that Antiquities in general are good but havent tried them. any sound clips?
        and
        for everyone everyone else, Keep'em coming, thanks
        Main Equipment:
        B52 4x12 Cab (POWER!!)
        Boss Ns2 ("shh shhh")

Comment

I like Fender Texas Specials.
          MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

You can try a lil Screamin Demon in the neck or a parallel axis stack or the vintage rails. I use the demon in the middle and I love it. Any single coil will have that hum the demon is super quiet even with a lot of gain and very articulate
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

there are heaps of sweet pickups...but if you want noiseless then i guess your options are a limited.
              Personally im happy to live with the hum because true singles sound so sweet.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Best pickups for traditional tones are traditional designs. I love the antiquity Texas hot, but mine are in a ash body maple fretboard strat. You may have better luck with the antiquity surfers in an alder/rosewood setup. Put some sheiliding in the cavity, and on your pick guard, and star ground I'd recommend. With your amp behind you, you'll be able to manage the hum quite well. If you really want noiseless, others will have recommends I'm sure.

Comment

ExplorersRock yea ive seen a couple of youtube videos on them and they sound cool, have that texas raw sound.

Rockstar216 that sounds interesting. lil screamin demon huh? ima look into it.

Gibson175 yea i truly feel the same way about the fact that it does limit me but, i cant live with that hum, drives me crazy but, if i cant get a sound i like then i will openly give true single coils more chances.

jones yea i saw a couple of antiquities and dam they sound really nice. i might get a set just to try them out.

ok guys so from all the research and youtube videos and forums this is what i came up with that im most likely going to get first then later try other ones.

-Bridge: DiMarzio Vitural Vintage Heavy Blues 2

-Middle: DiMarzio Cruiser bridge pickup in the middle

-Neck: DiMarzio Area 67

thank guys and you guys are the best, keep bringing the magic to this forum and this post,
                  thanks
                  Main Equipment:
                  B52 4x12 Cab (POWER!!)
                  Boss Ns2 ("shh shhh")

Comment

I've just hunged a video yesterday, with an alder-body rosewood-fretboard strato loaded with antiquity II surfs. They cover everything, IMHO.
                    (warning, not a great player, just hear the pickups, not to me).

NOTES:
                    NO Noise-Gate in the pedalboard, neither in video edition.
                    NO EQ correction, NO further post-processing in Pro-Tools or any other DAW.
                    Image/sound recorded with a Zoom Q3HD. What you hear is what you would hear INSIDE the room.
                    Guitar electronics cavity is shielded so, very comfortable pickup noise.
                    Last edited by hermetico; 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM.
                    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

the classic stack + pups are really nice sounding. i took them out for a while but ended up putting them back in. they sounds great and are noiseless

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        I'm a jazzy blues player and I use Duncan Antiquity Surfers.

That's what's in the white Strat in my avatar, along with a Duncan Custom Shop alnico 2 Tele Hot Tapped bridge pickup.
                        If noiseless is a priority they aren't humbuckers. But what they sound like is a great, early 60's Stratocaster pickup.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My fave Strat single coils are red, silver, blue sensors. My fave single coil sized humbuckers for Strats are the SD rails, hot, vintage, cool. I also have and like alot a Strat with a Hot Rails neck, Screaming Demon in the middle and a JB jr in the bridge. Hermetico's Strat sounds excellent too. So many pickups, so few Strats to put them in. I usually cut it down to master volume and tone with a push pull pots. I can coil split according to switch selection on the volume pot. The tone pull turns on bridge no matter switch selection. Wiring that way gives you N/B, N/M/B in HSS/HHH/SSS/ or whatever you have in the pick guard.

Laces:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	5764900

Before the Laces I had this in the blackie:

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	5764903

That is a hotrails neck, JB Jr. Middle and a Gibson 2 conductor wire '57 classic in the bridge.

Kermie the Rails:

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	5764901

The Mix:

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	5764902

The Pearl pg has two PRails and a hotrails in the middle. The brass pickguard is presently in that TB Strat with the Hotrails neck, deamon middle and JB Jr. bridge.

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	5764904

I love trying different pickups and pick guards!
                          Last edited by OttoMatick; 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Duckbucker, vintage rails, and dimarzio area 58 or 61.
                            nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

When I hear the word "jazz/blues/fusion," I think "Jeff Beck." If that's the sound you want, try a set of Fender Hot Noiseless. That's what he uses. (NOTE: Hot Noiseless should not be confused with VINTAGE Noiseless - that's the older Clapton model, a completely different pickup.) The Hot Noiseless used to be called Ceramic Noiseless. You can get a used set on fleabay for under 100 bucks.
                              “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
                              X