neck humbucker to go with pearly gates bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck humbucker to go with pearly gates bridge

I recently bought a gibson les paul faded that came with some nice sounding burstbuckers.

replaced the bridge one for the pearly gates and coudnt be happier. clear, smooth and punchy sounding notes. problem is , now the neck humbucker sounds muffled sounding. im pretty sure its a burstbucker alnico 5 model.

Any thoughts on a nice pair for the pearly? planning to play jazz,blues,funk,pop and R&B on the neck position.
    Last edited by madguitar26; 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM.
    duncans,gota love em

Re: neck humbucker to go with pearly gates bridge

duncan neck humbuckers that ive tried in the past and like : alnico2pro, 59 and jazz model.
    duncans,gota love em

Comment

The PG neck is a great match and just a great pickup all around!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by madguitar26 View Post
        I recently bought a gibson les paul faded that came with some nice sounding burstbuckers.

replaced the bridge one for the pearly gates and coudnt be happier. clear, smooth and punchy sounding notes. problem is , now the neck humbucker sounds muffled sounding. im pretty sure its a burstbucker alnico 5 model.

Any thoughts on a nice pair for the pearly? planning to play jazz,blues,funk,pop and R&B on the neck position.
        Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        The PG neck is a great match and just a great pickup all around!
        Yep, some folks like the neck PG even better than the bridge. If you like the PGb you're almost certain to love the PGn.

Also, I'm glad someone else here on the forum hears the PGb with their ears - and not from what they've read.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-09-2013, 07:25 AM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

i could be wrong but it coud be the neck pearly gates on the bridge position.

how does it sound in the neck? i need a clear, bright but mellow sound.
          duncans,gota love em

Comment

Originally posted by madguitar26 View Post
            i could be wrong but it coud be the neck pearly gates on the bridge position.

how does it sound in the neck? i need a clear, bright but mellow sound.
            That describes the PGn. You might want to check if your guitar has 500K pots. If it has 300K pots, 500K will make your tone brighter and clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              I'm glad someone else here on the forum hears the PGb with their ears - and not from what they've read.
              Oh, come on now Lew.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Oh, come on now Lew.
                Hey, I never thanked you for ruining my Jeff Beck thread. Thanks.

Comment

i just dont want the pearly to sound as bassy oriented (muffled) as the burstbucker pro in the neck.

is the a clearer pickup? pots are 500k
                  duncans,gota love em

Comment

My all time favorite combo for a Les Paul is a PG bridge and a 59 neck.
                    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Hey, I never thanked you for ruining my Jeff Beck thread. Thanks.
                      Your welcome. I agreed with you completely on the virtue of Beck's Truth album. We both love it. I was prepared to let that be it. I will admit to some responsibility about getting off tangent on Page, but someone (unnecessarily) started bashing Page. The rest of us got sucked into debating that. Be sure to thank him too.
                      Last edited by blueman335; 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

To the OP: if you like the Pearly Gates in the bridge you'll probably like the PGn in the neck.

Give it a try.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I have a PG set in one of my LPs and it sounds amazing!
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            I have a PG set in one of my LPs and it sounds amazing!
                            To the OP: if you like the Pearly Gates in the bridge you'll probably like the PGn in the neck.

Give it a try.
                            +1 from me too.

too easy...get a pair of gates and you'll be laughing about how good your axe sounds.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                            X