Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Magnets !!!

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
    Would it be possible to fit 2 mags into a humbucker pickup? Maybe one per coil if they're evenly wound and get a hybrid sound? Like an a2/a5 hybrid? Or would they cancel out or something?
    The pole piece screws get in the way under the one coil, so they can't sit side-by-side. They don't work stacked on top of each other, as the magnetic fields are focused on the other magnet and not the strings, so output is very low.
    Last edited by blueman335; 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you used a narrower magnet? Well two of them... On either side of the coil with nothing in the middle?
      Could you situate the magnets on te outer side of the screws/slugs and have a hollow space in the middle or would the magnetic fields be ruined?
      There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
        If you used a narrower magnet? Well two of them... On either side of the coil with nothing in the middle?
        Could you situate the magnets on te outer side of the screws/slugs and have a hollow space in the middle or would the magnetic fields be ruined?
        Where do you get non-standard size magnets? To fit a guitar PU, they're usually a special order and you have to get $500 worth.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I had a hard time sliding the new magnets under the Pole pieces, but since I got two of each, one was a little thinner than the other and
          went under without a hitch..... So, not to be confronted with this issue again, what is the right size to order ???.....

Thanks !!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Welcome to the club! It's amazing what magnets can do. I have a SP90-2 set and put an A8/A4 in the bridge, and A5/A5 in the neck. I never understood the P-90/ceramic thing, as the vast majority of P-90 lovers want vintage tones.
            I was very skeptical. The ceramic bridge pickup came to cheap. I was ready to yank the pair and start over but I figured I'd give it a shot. Very glad I did. Never suspected something so simple could yield such a change.
            This guitar went from awful to sublime in ten minutes.

Comment

Working...
            X