two single coil sized pickups in humbucker position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two single coil sized pickups in humbucker position

I know this would take some modifying of the pickguard but, I remember trying this years ago and had a problem with the magnets pushing away from one another and it sounded pretty bad. Has anyone done this with acceptable results?
    What I really want to achieve is vintage, unspoiled strat tone with the option of switching in a hot rails for humbucker tones.

Re: two single coil sized pickups in humbucker position

If you want humbucker tones and Strat tones, get a StagMag pup.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by freakazoidalnumbskul View Post
      I know this would take some modifying of the pickguard but, I remember trying this years ago and had a problem with the magnets pushing away from one another and it sounded pretty bad. Has anyone done this with acceptable results?
      What I really want to achieve is vintage, unspoiled strat tone with the option of switching in a hot rails for humbucker tones.
      Get a custom guardplate and put a hot rails next to the bridge Strat pickup.

A Hotrails has the magnets under the coil like a humbucker so the magnet issue shouldn't be an issue here...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yeh, I read what he said, but I wasn't sure how set he was on the Hot Rails or if he wanted humbucker mode and just suggested "Hot Rails".

Just trying to keep it simple at first. If he responded with more specifics to my post we could go on from there.

But you are correct with your suggestion, they will work together with no magnet problems. But what about space/rout in the body?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You can only do that with pickups that have rod magnets, not mini-hums with a magnet on the bottom. The latter would have their magnetic fields messed up to oink.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            If you want humbucker tones and Strat tones, get a StagMag pup.
            +1

The Stag mag is basically two Strat single coils mounted on a humbucker baseplate.

Without more specifics, it sounds like GuitarDoc's suggestion on target.

Comment

Working...
            X