Alnico Pro II w/different magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico Pro II w/different magnet?

I have a set of Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups that used to be in my McCarty.
    I loved the neck pickup, but the bridge was just a hair too bright and low on output. Yeah, I know it's a low output pickup.....

Anyway, I love what the alnico 8 magnets have done for my PATB-1 bridge pickups.
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried an A-8 magnet in the Alnico II Pro?
    It seems odd to even change the magnet in a pickup that is named after it's magnet, but I own it and it's just sitting on a shelf right now. If it were a tiny bit darker and a little bit hotter, I would probably like it a lot more.

Re: Alnico Pro II w/different magnet?

The A8 will definitely make it hotter, but it will not make it darker. Just the oposite, you will get a brighter more present high end and the lows will be tighter.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Well damn!
      Is there a magnet that might make it a bit darker/warmer and add some output?

Comment

Alnico 6
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
          Well damn!
          Is there a magnet that might make it a bit darker/warmer and add some output?
          I don't know of one. Some say the AII Pro bridge model is very similar, if not the same, as a Jazz bridge model pickup only the Jazz model uses an alnico 5 magnet. The Jazz bridge model is bright as all get out so I wouldn't recommend alnico 5.

I think you should sell it if you don't like it and not waste any time or money trying to alter it. Because Slash uses it, it should sell easily on Ebay.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Maybe I'll just put it in my son's baby Les Paul.
            It's a Trembucker, so I'll have to see if the spacing is too wide.

I have a PRS Chainsaw and a Gibson 498T just sitting around. Maybe I'll try one of those in the McCarty.

Comment

Working...
            X