X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silky smooth high output pickups

Looking for something like a lundgren m6 but cheaper and a little more bite

Re: silky smooth high output pickups

Smoothest humbucker I've had in any of my Strats was the Duncan Custom Custom humbucker. The closer to the strings, the more bite. Kind of an early EVH tone but smoother and more buttery. It can snarl and get a little sassy but it has a sweet tone like a soft caramel.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yep, Custom Custom is rather smooth...too smooth in fact!

I had one in a guitar for a long time but in the end it was just too thick and dark for my rig and my tastes to I dumped for a PAF output pickup but if you want hot and thick and smooth the CC is it!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yes, I stopped using it after a while. It has a cool tone - just it's not my tone. I've had the Custom Custom in two guitars: a Hamer Monoco Super Pro and a Strat.

I like the Duncan '78 better. It's similar but a little less output and a little more bite. It might be my favorite Duncan bridge bucker that I've tried and which I own. It's smooth like the Custom Custom but not, as TGWIF says, "too smooth".
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah, I dig it...ran it in my old Yamaha like the one Santana played but after a while it just got to a point where I didn't play the guitar because it was so drastically different from any of my other guitars...I like things to be different but still in the same ballpark...the CC stuck out like a sore thumb in my world of vintage single coils and PAF's!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              Dimarzio Super Distortion.
              My thought exactly. The high end on Dimarzios is pretty specific. Not that I've tried them all but my impression is they are smooth in the high end and pretty tight in the low end.

Tried the custom custom not long ago. It's chewy. And not nearly high output in my book. I caught the recommendation that it goes well with ebony fretboards. Didn't really like it at all, cause it turned a carnivorous Jackson into a plush mascotte. Thing is I like my pickups to work together with the wood, not compensate for anything. The CC is a good pickup but probably nothing you are looking for. I guess it could be Slash's favourite if he played strats

I don't know the M6. I think I've played a M8 once and remember it was really tight even though the guitar wasn't.
              You know what, try a Dimarzio Super 3 with 1Megaohm volume. I run mine with a 500k and a blower switch.

Comment

There's also the Mighty Mite Motherbucker and Gibson Dirty Fingers.

Comment

patb2 with an alnico8. very smooth, but also very, very articulate and clear. like a custom custom but with more airyness

Comment

*throws hands up*

I quit.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, unless Orpheo will buy me that awesome customized patb 2 free of charge i'm going to go for the super distortion

Comment

if it's a bright guitar, the CC would be very nice. if you didn't have a budget restriction, the RTM would be nicer.

Comment

I would go with a JB.
                          have a Super Distortion and the JB in comparison is smoother for leads and less compressed.
                          cuts through way better.

Comment

Originally posted by chadrussel1221 View Post
                            Looking for something like a lundgren m6 but cheaper and a little more bite
                            The CC probably fits but IMHO it needs a guitar with sustain block tremolo so that it wakes up a bit.

Comment

Dimarzio Super 3 fits that description. Dark, smooth, misterious.
                              If CC is soft caramel, S3 is 72% dark chocolate melting in your mouth.
                              Last edited by Dr.J4ckal; 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X