banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need pickup help, too much or too little?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pickup help, too much or too little?

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding a good pickup for my playing style.

I've got a Bad Cat CubII and a Vox AC15 and typically go for a clean tone that will break up when I dig into it. My Gretsch's with powertrons and Hi sensitivity filtertrons sound great, but both my Tele's with both single coils and humbuckers in the bridge sound horrible. One has a broadcaster single and the other an Enforcer hubucker. In both cases, they are too clean and I can't get a good break up. The enforcer is especially nasty, just loud and super trebely. I tried a JB humbucker, but found it was too hot and I could get it to clean up.

any suggestions on some models that work well for me?

P90s are probably where it's at. I have a set in my lp special and they are lovely. It's a custom 3 in the bridge and a vintage 2 in the neck I think. I may be off on the numbers but they are both Duncan's and I really like them alot. In my experience the 'custom' series of a softer pickup is going to give you that clean that breaks up when you dig into it. ie: the p90s are typically softer sounding, closer to single coils. But the custom in the bridge is a hotter p90 that still retains the clarity and clean tone but distorts beautifully. I've used the hot for tele with great results too. Maybe even the phat cat to fit your humbucker slot.

Comment

Re: Need pickup help, too much or too little?

Originally posted by agentzero12 View Post
      P90s are probably where it's at. I have a set in my lp special and they are lovely. It's a custom 3 in the bridge and a vintage 2 in the neck I think. I may be off on the numbers but they are both Duncan's and I really like them alot. In my experience the 'custom' series of a softer pickup is going to give you that clean that breaks up when you dig into it. ie: the p90s are typically softer sounding, closer to single coils. But the custom in the bridge is a hotter p90 that still retains the clarity and clean tone but distorts beautifully. I've used the hot for tele with great results too. Maybe even the phat cat to fit your humbucker slot.
      I tried some P90's today, loved the tone, but too hot. I am going to try a pearly gates in the bridge HB position and an STL-2 in the bridge single. I will see how it goes....

Comment

P90s were too hot? What models? My vintage neck is pretty soft, I have a hotter bridge so I know it can be I'm just surprised.

Comment

It was the SD Custom Soapbar.

Comment

Ahh, yeah. I've got the custom in my bridge position. It actually has a pretty nice rip to it when you really dig in. If the tone was about right, the vintage is lower output.

Comment

well, today I went with SD's recommendation and tried a STL-2 hot lead single with a vintage single in the neck. The guitar sounds amazing! Just waht I was looking for. I will be trying a Pearly Gates in the Bridge of my other Tele, I will see how it goes.

Comment

Glad you found what you wanted. I've always found Seymour Duncan's to have a wide range of sounds but they pretty much all respond the way I like.

Comment

I agree, i like SD's for just about everything. I'm thinking of replacing the 57/08 pickups in my PRS SC58 with some SD's in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X