banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got myself a problem (59, Mean 90, SG content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got myself a problem (59, Mean 90, SG content)

I have a Tele with a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue in the bridge and a GFS Mean 90 in the neck. I was never really happy with the Mean 90 and never heard anything about the great things people talk about it.

So, I decided to try out the 59n of my SG in it, just to see if it's worth it to buy another 59 neck for the tele. And I was right, I really liked the pickup in there and how well it matches with the Jerry Donahue.

I've always said that I really like the 59 neck in my SG, but, since I didn't want to leave the SG without a neck pickup until I have time and patience to put the 59 back, I put the Mean 90 in it. And I have to say:

WOW!!! I really liked it and finally heard all the great tone people say it has.

But, you see, now I've got myself a problem. Should I just get another 59 for the tele or a Mean 90 bridge for my SG? I know it will change the character of the guitar, but I've always been struggle with the Custom 5 (8, UOA5) in the bridge slot (always thought it's a little too hot).

I really liked the 59 neck in the sg, but the mean 90 has something really nice about it. Oh my... Or maybe I need another guitar?

=/

Re: I've got myself a problem (59, Mean 90, SG content)

Ok. I was just telling my experience. But are there any toneologist (or maybe a psychiatrist) to help me?
    =P

Comment

um

it's hard to say what you "should" do without knowing what your goals are... y'know, if you're trying to get a rock-n-blues tone, P-90s in an SG are hard to beat... if you're trying to get a thrash metal tone then you're barking up the wrong tree...

i think the Tele with the 59 in the neck and an SG with two P90s would be very complimentary... for what it's worth, I have 3 Gibsons and two of them have P90's in the bridge slot. It's a perfect tone.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I currently have the mean 90 bridge, & the dream 90 in the neck of my sg.
        I did some changing around after pulling the Dread set" out (490r/498t).
        After seceral attempts, I picked up this set (mean/dream) for $35 off Clist.
        They balance well with each other, & are warm, sharp, & Very crunchy, a good combo for an sg.
        After the honeymoon, I might try a mag swap, if i'm not happy.
        I believe the mean has the A5s, not too sure of the dream, though I read on another forum that the dream was actually an overwound single coil under the bucker size cover.
        A friend of mine has the mean in the bridge of a epi LP, he did a mag swap to UOA5s, to round it off to his taste, & I was there when he did it, so I know the mean is a true P90 type pup
        I won't swear I'll keep em in there, but if I do change, it will be for another set of HB sized P90s, the sg loves the 90s, & sounds better with this cheap pair than with any of the HBs I've tried
        JMHO YMMV
        6 pieces of wood with wires
        1 big box with a bunch of little glass bottles & 2 big round black things
        1 little red & white & black box with 2 little glass bottles that sits on
        a wood box with 2 big round black things.
        1 little black box with 2 slightly bigger black boxes under it.

Comment

I know it's hard to tell. But, if it helps, I'm a classic rock/blues guy. I think the heavier I get it's black sabbath, ac/dc and guns and roses.

I have these two guitars, but I'm planning getting another one soon.

You guys are making me even more curious about the mean 90 bridge....

Comment

Working...
          X