Pearly Gates in semi hollow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates in semi hollow?

In my ongoing search for pickup options in my Gibson ES339, I am now curious if anyone has an opinion on the Pearly Gates set in a semi hollow? Thanks!

Re: Pearly Gates in semi hollow?

Love it.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I much prefer a pair of Seth's. More open, airy, complex tones.

PG's have a pretty warm neck, with a rounded high-end, especially in a semi hollow, and a rather bright, thin bridge. Seth's don't have those issues. Perfect as is.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

i have a pair in my 335. love em. they are the 4th and final set of pickups in that axe.
        I reckon i'd put em in other guitars too if i had some axes to put them in!
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          i have a pair in my 335. love em. they are the 4th and final set of pickups in that axe.
          I reckon i'd put em in other guitars too if i had some axes to put them in!
          We all hear with different ears. I've sold my one pair of PG's, and am keeping the several sets of Seth's I have.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

good for you rick, good for you.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Hahaha! Oh man. Thanks for the input guys. I'm still leaning towards the Seth's I guess. I keep coming back to "open" and "airy", as attractive descriptions. My only concern is when I do use higher gain, namely my fuzz. I used Big Muffs for a long time, right now I have a Dark Arts Pharoah, very Muffish, but it has a germanium circuit which gives it a lot more character, and a low cut knob which I find very usefull since my main amp is a JTM45, tons of bass on hand there.

Comment

Originally posted by jones View Post
                Hahaha! Oh man. Thanks for the input guys. I'm still leaning towards the Seth's I guess. I keep coming back to "open" and "airy", as attractive descriptions. My only concern is when I do use higher gain, namely my fuzz. I used Big Muffs for a long time, right now I have a Dark Arts Pharoah, very Muffish, but it has a germanium circuit which gives it a lot more character, and a low cut knob which I find very usefull since my main amp is a JTM45, tons of bass on hand there.
                If it helps at all, I have a Dot with a PG in the bridge, and it sounds MASSIVE through my Catalinbread Manx Loagthan (if you can put up with the feedback ).
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by jones View Post
                  im a fuzz addict too. In fact the only thing in my signal path is a fuzz face. I leave it on pretty much 24/7 and do all the various sounds i need via my guitar knobs. i'd very much like to try a pharaoh tho.
                  There are a few of us on the forum who have the fuzz addiction. hehe.
                  I think pretty much any of the paf type pups will do the job, and noone seems to worry too much whether they are potted or unpotted unless they are playing metal.
                  I reckon you will be more likely to get feedback from the semi rather than squeal from unpotted pickups, so that means you are fine with seths, ants, APH's, 59s, Pg's etc. It really just comes down to which ones give you the character you like best.\
                  If you are not sure, you could always get a set of 59's and maybe do some magnet swapping to tailor the tone if need be to fine tune your sound. They work with pretty much anything.
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X