Pick Up Position for Leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Position for Leads

I searched the forum and didn't find a similar thread...

I'm recording with some people and wanted to know if anyone has a pick up selector preference when recording solos?

02/14/2013 -- Thanks for the feedback Everyone...helps with the recording ;-)
    Last edited by CookSDR; 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: Received good feed back. Thanks.

Re: Pick Up Position for Leads

depends on the song. i use all the positions for lead depending on the tone i want.

Comment

Depends on if you want a throaty, fluid sound or a brighter, twangy sound. It's entirely up to you and what you feel like is right for the song.

Basically, do what you want to. Record both, see which you like better. Don't ask random dudes on a forum.

Comment

Really it depends some solos i even swap from one to the other so it really just depends
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You could use all the positions available on your guitar just for one solo it's what ever you want to use
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

it depends if you want a cutting/trebly lead tone or a deep/bassy lead tone. some blues type solos sound good with the neck but in general i use the bridge pickup for leads.

Comment

I use both for solos, but use the bridge more often for the extra bite I get from it. Another option I like is when the guitar's wired for independent volumes colntrols (which most of mine are), in the middle toggle position with the bridge volume on '10' and the neck's on '7'. Gives a louder, fuller sound. I often play rhythm with the neck on '7' and then flip the toggle to the middle position for solos to get a boost in output.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

depends what you're playing really...specifically in terms of the composition of your solo/leads.

fast, fluid shredding on higher frets is usually a good situation for a neck pickup
                more melodic lines in lower frets are fine for the bridge pickup.

also depends on the timbre you want to evoke.
                bright, brash and percussive = bridge pickup
                smooth, rounded and warm = neck pickup

Comment

And if you want that BB King/Pagey chirp, leave in the middle with everything dimed.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

I use a lot of positions when soloing, often chaning pickups 3 or 4 times. I even quite like switching from the neck to the bridge pickup in the middle of a bent note to give kind of a "wah" sound.
                    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

...should we tell you which notes to play too?
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I use any pickup for lead, but I rarely use a neck pickup for rhythm, as in full chords. Three-note chords or two-note intervals, sure, sometimes.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Selector?
                          nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Working...
                          X