banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan VS Duncan for 70's Hard Rock (Les Paul build content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan VS Duncan for 70's Hard Rock (Les Paul build content)

OK, so i am thinking . . . again !

I will be in the States in about 6 weeks time.

My next guitar purchace will be a Les Paul. (...at long bloody last)

I want to get an all Mahogany faded brown body, and re-build the guitar around the Mahogany core.

. . . faded brown Studio

So here is my question :

Does anyone want to predict the tonal diffs between a Slash A2P sig set, and the new Whole Lotta Humbucker set ?

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

The WLH set does not have any B/M/T figures yet.

So far :

Slash A2P : B7 / M5 / T8 - bridge : 8.53k & neck : 7.92k / A2

WLHer set : B? / M? / T? - bridge : 8.78k & neck : 8.20k / A5

Any predictions, views and thoughts welcome.

Thanks
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Duncan VS Duncan for 70's Hard Rock (Les Paul build content)

I'm gonna say they are more better.
    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Just get a set of 59's and call it a day!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

All Mahogany? Pearly Gates. Unless you want super fat..in which case, A2P's. I gotta believe the WLH are gonna be in the 59 neighborhood.

I'd listen to the specific LP before deciding.

Where you gonna be SirJack? And when?

Those worn Browns are secksy
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          All Mahogany? Pearly Gates. Unless you want super fat..in which case, A2P's. I gotta believe the WLH are gonna be in the 59 neighborhood.

I'd listen to the specific LP before deciding.

Where you gonna be SirJack? And when?

Those worn Browns are secksy
          Here's the thing.
          My brother all ready has a set of 59's in his LP.
          I have a redular A2P set in my SG.

That is why the slightly hotter Slash set looks so attractive.
          But then again, so does the BK Black Dogs & SD Whole Lotta Humbucker sets.

My Co. wants me back in FL. the middle of April.
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Does anyone know if the regular run of the WLH's will come in a regular shiny new cover, or a distressed p/u cover like the link below ?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pick...umbuckers.html - see post #1

Comment

Ants
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If I were coming to the land of Les Pauls, I think I'd set my sights higher than a Faded Studio. Spend the money and take home a Historic...like a Goldtop 57, a 58 plaintop or a figured 59 or 60. The Burstbucker 1 & 2 set is pretty good.

But if you're going to settle, I go with BBs, Seths, Ants or PGs.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Just get a set of 59's and call it a day!

Came in to post this. I'd certainly play the guitar first though.
                  Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Ants

MMmmm, never thought of them before - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      If I were coming to the land of Les Pauls, I think I'd set my sights higher than a Faded Studio.
                      Spend the money and take home a Historic...like a Goldtop 57, a 58 plaintop or a figured 59 or 60. The Burstbucker 1 & 2 set is pretty good.

But if you're going to settle, I go with BBs, Seths, Ants or PGs.

Bill
                      Thanks Bill...much appreciated.

There is a CUSTOM i have my eyes on.
                      Yup, trust little 'ol me to go from pocket-freindly Studio to a 1977 (2nd hand) wine red CUSTOM.

Problem is, the store has had that guitar on their web site for over 18 months now.
                      They want $2700.00 for it. The two pics they have of the guitar makes it seem to be in very good ( A, or even A+ ) cond.
                      But if an A+ Custom is not selling for $2700.00 . . . i am asking myself . . . WHY NOT ?

What does the other muso's see in that guitar that keeps it from going out the door ?
                      I checked eVilleBay, and $2700.00 is a fair asking price. It is also my 2nd FAV LP colour.
                      The only one that i like more is a Plain Top R8.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post

Problem is, the store has had that guitar on their web site for over 18 months now.
                        They want $2700.00 for it. The two pics they have of the guitar makes it seem to be in very good ( A, or even A+ ) cond.
                        But if an A+ Custom is not selling for $2700.00 . . . i am asking myself . . . WHY NOT ?

Is Wine Red just not in-fashion among the LP Custom buyers ?

Comment

I would say the Whole Lotta Humbucker would be more similar to a set of '59s. Here is what I would guess the specs would be in comparison:

'59 set: B6 / M3 / T8 - bridge : 8.13k & neck : 7.43k / A5

WLHer set : B6 / M5 / T7 - bridge : 8.78k & neck : 8.20k / A5

Bass might be a tad lower on the WLH set. When I compare the 59 to WHL in the neck, the 59 seemed to have more bass and treble present. I think the WLH neck is much more balanced in that position than the '59. Hope this info helps!
                          - Fender Vintage Hot Rod '62 Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups
                          - 2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Jimmy Page set

Comment

Originally posted by J.C.R.W View Post
                            I would say the Whole Lotta Humbucker would be more similar to a set of '59s. Here is what I would guess the specs would be in comparison:

.......'59 set: B6 / M3 / T8 - bridge : 8.13k & neck : 7.43k / A5

WLHer set : B6 / M5 / T7 - bridge : 8.78k & neck : 8.20k / A5

Bass might be a tad lower on the WLH set. When I compare the 59 to WHL in the neck, the 59 seemed to have more bass and treble present. I think the WLH neck is much more balanced in that position than the '59. Hope this info helps!

Thank you very much for the insight !

Much appreciated !

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                              Thanks Bill...much appreciated.

There is a CUSTOM i have my eyes on.
                              Yup, trust little 'ol me to go from pocket-freindly Studio to a 1977 (2nd hand) wine red CUSTOM.

What does the other muso's see in that guitar that keeps it from going out the door ?
                              I checked eVilleBay, and $2700.00 is a fair asking price. It is also my 2nd FAV LP colour.
                              The only one that i like more is a Plain Top R8.
                              A modern lp can be a crap shoot in terms of sound and playability. A 70's lp? = an even bigger gamble. Pups could be duds, it might weigh 80 lbs, it could also sound ok. The faded is more likely to have been manufactured in a consistent manor, and you'll have all that money left over for pups and pots and bridge, etc. IMO, the only reason a 70s lp sells for $2700, is because the customer really wants one from the 60's but can't afford it.
                              nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Working...
                              X