Wiring help HSH with a rotary and a super-switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help HSH with a rotary and a super-switch

I've been looking to maximize the tone capabilities of my strat. I've changed the neck and bridge pickups to humbuckers, but I'm having trouble organizing how to get all the possible tones.
    This is just a project guitar, so i don't mind cutting things up to get what i want
    I have a 5 way switch, 2 tone pots, a toggle (connects bridge and neck), a blend pot, and a volume pot currently installed.
    I am changing the 5 way to a super switch, one tone pot to a dual concentric tone pot, and the other tone pot to a 6 way rotary switch.
    I've never used a rotary switch or a super switch before, so I am having a hard time getting the electrical path to go the way I want.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

2 pole 6 position rotary switch
    Position 1: neck
    Pos 2: neck/mid
    Pos 3: mid
    Pos 4: mid/bridg
    Pos 5: bridge
    Pos 6: ? maybe "neck/bridge", but i have a toggle that can do that
    Dual Concentric Tone Pot
    pot- top: neck tone
    pot- bot: bridge/mid tone
    Volume
    Master: all volume
    Toggle
    Connects bridge and neck
    Blend Pot
    Blend: neck/bridge blending (only with toggle engaged)
    5 way super switch
    Pos 1: series
    Pos 2: parallel
    Pos 3: reverse pole neck
    Pos 4: reverse mid
    Pos 5: coil tap neck

I know this is excessive, but has any one done this type of thing before, or know of a simpler/better way to get the tones I'm looking for. Any diagram would be a great help.
    Last edited by JTGreen; 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM.

Re: Wiring help HSH with a rotary and a super-switch

Push/pull pots get the job done. Maybe a mini toggle or 2. The amount of wires going on in there will likely cause tone loss or added noise, that's if you can even fit it in the space you have in there. Good luck with the project though.

Comment

I can definitely fit the wiring, and don't care about hum or noise (not using this guitar for performance, just educational). Everything is working perfectly while the super switch is bypassed, but from all my experimentation, I'm still having trouble with getting anything to go right with my super-switch options.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGreen View Post
        I've been looking to maximize the tone capabilities of my strat. I've changed the neck and bridge pickups to humbuckers, but I'm having trouble organizing how to get all the possible tones.
        This is just a project guitar, so i don't mind cutting things up to get what i want
        I have a 5 way switch, 2 tone pots, a toggle (connects bridge and neck), a blend pot, and a volume pot currently installed.
        I am changing the 5 way to a super switch, one tone pot to a dual concentric tone pot, and the other tone pot to a 6 way rotary switch.
        I've never used a rotary switch or a super switch before, so I am having a hard time getting the electrical path to go the way I want.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

2 pole 6 position rotary switch
        Position 1: neck
        Pos 2: neck/mid
        Pos 3: mid
        Pos 4: mid/bridg
        Pos 5: bridge
        Pos 6: ? maybe "neck/bridge", but i have a toggle that can do that
        Dual Concentric Tone Pot
        pot- top: neck tone
        pot- bot: bridge/mid tone
        Volume
        Master: all volume
        Toggle
        Connects bridge and neck
        Blend Pot
        Blend: neck/bridge blending (only with toggle engaged)
        5 way super switch
        Pos 1: series
        Pos 2: parallel
        Pos 3: reverse pole neck
        Pos 4: reverse mid
        Pos 5: coil tap neck

I know this is excessive, but has any one done this type of thing before, or know of a simpler/better way to get the tones I'm looking for. Any diagram would be a great help.
        Please, take a look to other recent thread about a 2P6T rotary switch with three pickups to understand what I have to say here.

For position 6, it makes sense Neck + Bridge, a nice combo, btw.
        But then, you have an issue with tone controls.
        What you are requesting cannot be done with a 2 poles rotary switch.
        You can have Neck AND Bridge wired to a tone control and Middle to another one. Take a look to the picture of that thread and, you will understand why.
        But, if position 6 has neck + bridge together, in that position you will have a pickup assigned to each pot but, just in that single position.

Not clear what do you want for the 5-way switch.
        Series what?
        Parallel what?
        are we talking about coils of a certain pickup, of several pickups, ...?

And that toggle... what means connect bridge and neck?

Honestly, I don't think it's a good approach.
        Can you please first describe which are your goals?
        Then we can think on how to achieve them and select the right components.
        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Thank you for mentioning the other post. it was very helpful understanding how the 2P6T works, and possible uses. I have never messed with series/parallel wiring, which is why I didn't specify in that section. My goal for this guitar is to: find "my sound" by trying as many mods as possible, and mixing combinations of them. i would really like to hear, for myself, the difference between series and parallel wiring, and what each sounds like with reverse polarity. or what it sounds like when 3 pickups are on with one reversed, etc.
          Is there a way to get coiltap, phase, and series/parallel options without sacrificing positions on the superswitch? or another way to get the p-up combinations and use superswitch for coil tap, phasing, etc.

As for the toggle, it is just a wire with a toggle switch and pot, going between the neck and bridge p-ups (or something to that effect, i tested many different wirings before it worked, and may be explaining the wrong way lol). When used with my standard 5 way switch it can create 7 possible pickup combos, and technically 9 positions (some sound nearly identical except for changing which p-up is dominant before blend).

Comment

Working...
          X