banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy Gibson 490r & 498t and swap magnets? Or Just buy SD pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy Gibson 490r & 498t and swap magnets? Or Just buy SD pickups?

Hi All,

I'm building a Les Paul copy and I'm planning which pickups I should get. I narrowed my choice down to a SD 59 for the neck and JB or Duncan Distortion. I have the Duncan Distortion already in another guitar (Charvel copy) I put together, and was steered away from the JB by a buddy of mine. I don't have any issues with the Duncan Distortion but I'm always wondering what the JB would have sounded like.

Anyway, the Les Paul I'm building will need gold hardware and I recently saw a gold pair of Gibson pickups, 490r & 498t. I've read on this forum that it's easy to swap magnets on pickups so I figured I might give it a try and instead of purchasing new SD pickups, I can just buy used 490r & 498t and swap magnets, and save some money.

The users here suggest swapping the 490r magnet for a A5 magnet to get it close to a SD 59, and swap the 498t for a A8 magnet to get it close to a SD C8 pickup.

What swap would I do to make the 498t sound close to a JB or Duncan Distortion? I'm still not fixed on by bridge pickup, but I'm leaning towards a JB, unless someone can swade me otherwise.

Also, where do you guys recommend I buy the magnets from? And of course I'll need some tutorials...

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
    dinky,

Re: Buy Gibson 490r & 498t and swap magnets? Or Just buy SD pickups?

I love the 498 as is. My fave hot bridge pup. Personally wouldn't change a thing about it.

The 490 I would definitely go with something clearer..a3,4,5.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

490r with an A5 is essentially a T-top
      PRS Singlecuts
      Epiphone Sheraton II
      Vintage acoustics

Comment

What sort of music are you playing ? What amp are you using ?

Comment

I play mainly 80's but really anything that has good guitar riffs...eg. Thin Lizzy, Zepplin, Ozzy.

And I'm using a Marshall 410h w/ 4 Celestions..

PS: what's a T-top?

dinky,

Comment

If it's a good deal I wouldn't hesitate to do the 490/498. Swap in an A5 into the 490, rock the stock mag in the 498, sounds right up your alley.

Comment

I have a couple 498T/490R sets, and with an A5 in the neck, you get more clarity and get rid of any mud. I like an A8 in the bridge, which gives it a fuller, richer tone. For what you're playing you might like the 498T as is. An A5 in the neck will help them to balance better EQ-wise.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyguitar View Post
                I play mainly 80's but really anything that has good guitar riffs...eg. Thin Lizzy, Zepplin, Ozzy.

And I'm using a Marshall 410h w/ 4 Celestions..

PS: what's a T-top?

dinky,

A T Top is the nickname given to the pups used by Gibson during the late 60s through a lot of the 80s and that was because the bobbins had a 'T' molded to the top. They were mid-high 7k ohms with short rough cast A5 magnets. They're generally bright and clear and great for the neck position.

Comment

^Yup. A lot of classic 70's and 80's rock was recorded through a T-Top loaded Les Paul.

Also great in the bridge. When Jimmy Page's PAF bridge pickup in his #1 died in the early 70's, he replaced it with a T-Top.

Hail to the Forum! My name is Andrew and I'm an aficionado of this cool place where we can discuss, share, know and disagree on eveything about our les paul guitar! And please,forgive my english, I write from italy Said this, I've read here several threads about Gibson T-Top and replicas...
                  Last edited by Push to Shuv; 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM.
                  PRS Singlecuts
                  Epiphone Sheraton II
                  Vintage acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Push to Shuv View Post
                    ^Yup. A lot of classic 70's and 80's rock was recorded through a T-Top loaded Les Paul.

Also great in the bridge. When Jimmy Page's PAF bridge pickup in his #1 died in the early 70's, he replaced it with a T-Top.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pick...490r-490t.html
                    Very true. I keep the T Tops in my LPC but I am willing to admit I wish the bridge had a little more oomph in relation to the neck. That's the reason I'm not too much of a fan of them in the bridge-they can be a little thin.

Comment

Thanks guys....

And thanks formula for the info on the t tops...

I have time till my build is done....but if I know what I want before hand I'll keep an eye out for good deals..

dinky,

Comment

Schenker rocked the T tops in his medallion V,and the first 5 or 6 Rush albums are mostly T tops in Lifeson's semi hollows as well. As long as we are talking 70s.

The light winds, polysol and short mag are great for clarity and tightness with gain. They are some of my fave piclups of all time.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

They actually wound them pretty well, too, so the ones I played didn't have much of a problem with microphonics. Mine are even covered and don't have much of a squealing problem and I run a healthy amount of gain, more often than not.

Comment

I had a couple gibbys with Ts as well as a Norlin era custom shop les paul standard with shaws, never had a problem with microphonics either. All of mine were covered.

No doubt though, there are some wonky ones out there.

Comment

Working...
                            X