Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan 78 trembucker

Hi!
    I have a white Duncan EVH 78 trembucker laying around, will it fit in a Les Paul Custom with a cover ?
    How will it sound in there?
    Or maybe I shall put it in my 68 Strat which I initially planned...?
    Then I will have to do some routing in the strat..Hmm can`t decide.
    Any suggestions folks ? I play classic rock/heavy metal btw.

Cheers

Re: Duncan 78 trembucker

Trembuckers are a tight fit in a Gibson even without a cover so once you get a cover on it I'd have to guess no.

I'd also suggest against routing a hole in a 68 Strat but that's just my opinion...

My suggestion get another guitar to put the Trembucker in or sell the trembucker and get a standard size 78 and put it in the Les Paul...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Trembuckers are a tight fit in a Gibson even without a cover so once you get a cover on it I'd have to guess no.

I'd also suggest against routing a hole in a 68 Strat but that's just my opinion...

My suggestion get another guitar to put the Trembucker in or sell the trembucker and get a standard size 78 and put it in the Les Paul...
      Ok thanks. I think I will go for the strat & 78 combo.
      Btw has anyone compared the 78 to the custom 8 in a les paul?
      I know they have different magnets of course, but do they have
      the same kind of response and tightness?

Thanks ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ole View Post
        Ok thanks. I think I will go for the strat & 78 combo.
        Btw has anyone compared the 78 to the custom 8 in a les paul?
        I know they have different magnets of course, but do they have
        the same kind of response and tightness?

Thanks ;-)
        I wouldn't expect them to be anywhere near each other. The '78 is more of a PAF style (which I wold consider a little loose, but quite pleasurable under gain) which would be more touch sensitive while the Custom 8 has a good deal more output and would be very tight (but not as tight as a regular Custom).
        Nope...

Comment

I bet a good portion of the forum was hoping you were going to say (The 78 Is For Sale). LOL
          Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
          If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
            I bet a good portion of the forum was hoping you were going to say (The 78 Is For Sale). LOL
            He he.. Sorry guys not selling this one, I`ve heard so many good things about it I gotta try it out.
            Might as well put it in the strat, were it was meant to be
            Ok here`s a challenge ; anyone tried the Duncan 78 with alnico 8 ?

Can`t decide which pickup to go for in my LPC.
            I believe I`ve tested a LPC with a regular Custom, and remember it being a bit bass heavy and also a bit scooped.. correct ?

Comment

He he.. Sorry guys not selling this one, I`ve heard so many good things about it I gotta try it out.
              Might as well put it in the strat, were it was meant to be
              Ok here`s a challenge ; anyone tried the Duncan 78 with alnico 8 ?

Can`t decide which pickup to go for in my LPC.
              I believe I`ve tested a LPC with a regular Custom, and remember it being a bit bass heavy and also a bit scooped.. correct ?
              Well, you ever want to trade I have a custom shop S-Deco8 I would swap! haha! I would have had an answer on the '78 with an A8 mag as well, but opted for an overwound 'demon with an A8 (review to come).

Yes, that is how I found the custom in both my LP custom, standard and PRS SC....bass was very tight but just too overbearing! Huge, tight low end and a sharp top end. I only tried the Custom8 in the SC but liked it better....smoother top, broader mids.

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                Well, you ever want to trade I have a custom shop S-Deco8 I would swap! haha! I would have had an answer on the '78 with an A8 mag as well, but opted for an overwound 'demon with an A8 (review to come).

Yes, that is how I found the custom in both my LP custom, standard and PRS SC....bass was very tight but just too overbearing! Huge, tight low end and a sharp top end. I only tried the Custom8 in the SC but liked it better....smoother top, broader mids.
                Hmm yes I think the Custom is a bit too much in the LPC, especially for D tuning.
                I`ll get the Strat up and running first, and maybe later go for a good old JB (or maybe a JB8) in the LPC.
                Thanks, Ole

Comment

So you're going to route a hole in a 68 Strat??

Please tell me the guitar already has a humbucker route in there from some past hack job??

As for the magnet swap I must ask...why think about a magnet swap before ever even trying the pickup?!

I mean you said in post #6 that you've heard so many good things about it you have to try it...the things you have heard about it are stock with an alnico II magnet...if you change the magnet it is really a different pickup.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    So you're going to route a hole in a 68 Strat??

Please tell me the guitar already has a humbucker route in there from some past hack job??

As for the magnet swap I must ask...why think about a magnet swap before ever even trying the pickup?!

I mean you said in post #6 that you've heard so many good things about it you have to try it...the things you have heard about it are stock with an alnico II magnet...if you change the magnet it is really a different pickup.
                    No of course I`m not planning on switching the magnet in the 78 before trying it ..just curious if anyone have tried.
                    Yes I`m gonna route the strat, I would rather have a guitar that sounds the way I want it to be. I don`t like single coil sized humbuckers.

Comment

No of course I`m not planning on switching the magnet in the 78 before trying it ..just curious if anyone have tried.
                      Yes I`m gonna route the strat, I would rather have a guitar that sounds the way I want it to be. I don`t like single coil sized humbuckers.
                      I hope you end up liking the pickup and loving the guitar...I know it's not a vintage 50's or early 60's Strat but you're about to do a lot of monetary damage to that guitar by routing a hole in it, unless of course your 68 Strat is a reissue.

Comment

He he.. It`s a cheapo Japan 68 Reissue model. Great sounding guitar for the money!
                        I would of course NEVER do that to an original model

Comment

He he.. It`s a cheapo Japan 68 Reissue model. Great sounding guitar for the money!
                          I would of course NEVER do that to an original model
                          I had a feeling...

FWIW, I used to have a MIJ 68 Strat...3 colour burst, CBS head, maple cap neck...loved it, should'a never sold it!!!

Good luck in your tone search!

Comment

Thanks man

Comment

Working...
                            X