banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimarzios for Ibanez RG - Color and Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzios for Ibanez RG - Color and Model?

I just picked up an Ibanez RG1XXV in fluorescent pink. This thing is super 80s and just inspires shred. It's got me coming back to learning sweep picking and tapping, stuff I gave up on years ago. The finish is a bit orangey for pink, so I was thinking about putting in some pickups with a bobbin color that would help to make it seem more pink in juxtaposition. Maybe purple? I really don't know color theory very well, so what do guys think would help the pink look more pink and less orange?

I'm mostly looking for a bridge pickup for now, I'll worry about the neck later down the line. Most of my other guitars have Duncans and I'm pretty new to Dimarzio's pickup offerings. I really like the Evo clips, especially Vai and Herman Li's tones, but I'm not sure how they'd work in a basswood body. Their pickup picker seems to steer me more away from Evos. What do you guys think? The Tone Zone? Gravity Storm?

Re: Dimarzios for Ibanez RG - Color and Model?

The Evos are actually often recommended for basswood bodies.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Vai's guitar is basswood, so the Evo should definitely work in your guitar. Of course, I wouldn't just go by clips... chances are, your rig and playing style are different from those guys. Try it out yourself, and if you don't like it, DiMarzio will let you try another pickup.
      As far as color... purple, blue, green... pretty much anything that really contrasts and stands out should work for the vibe you're going for.
      Last edited by LeOtherGuy; 02-24-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

i have the same guitar and had the same idea! mine is yellow, so i got pink pickups to make it like a mini jem. I went with a tone zone in the bridge, area 67 in the middle, and a liquifire in the neck and was really happy with the bridge choice. i'm not convinced i like the liquifire more than a paf pro, but it still sounds good. enjoy it, it's a really fun guitar.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Shweeeeet.

Yellow or blue would be my choice.

And hell yeah to the Tone Zone.

OH! And please do go with DiMarzio for whichever color you end up going for. Specifically, their blue is MUCH better than SD's offering.

Yuck.

Comment

Oh man, I love the pink one. I thought they came with pink dimarzio's?

I think Vai's jem with evo's is alder, the basswood jems had breeds, I think. I don't know anything about the gravity storms.

I love the Super3 and PAFPro in RG's, but that was pretty much for carcass type stuff exclusively tuned to B. My new RG has the oddest combo ever on paper (Crazy8/Ant Texas Hot/Distortion Neck A5), but I really like it so far, I can't put it down.

Comment

a good friend of mine that is an awesome tech swears by the gravity storm. I havent heard or played them yet but id say check that and the evo or breed. Satriani Mo Joe as well

Comment

Working...
              X