Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele 4-way with humbucker neck question for placing 270K resistor

Hi there,

I am trying to make a tele with a SD Pearly gates in the neck and a Fender nocaster as bridge. The bridge needs 250K volume but the PG needs a 500K volume. I also want to use the 4 way mod (bridge, bridge+neck in series, bridge+neck parallel, neck).

Does anyone have a diagram how I can make this and where and how I should put the 270K resistor in for the bridge?

Many thanks!!!

Re: Tele 4-way with humbucker neck question for placing 270K resistor

the series thang will compromise your individual-tone design, since the neck hot output is always on the hot path, the neck tone will be also.
    My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
    My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Anyone know any alternatives so the neck pickup will not get muddy?

Comment

If I were you I'd use a weaker/brighter neck pickup...a Duncan Jazz is a good option if you have to have a full size bucker, if you want an even better option a Epi style Mini humbucker (NOT a Firebird pickup) is a GREAT neck bucker for a Tele. Don't get me wrong, the PG is a GREAT pickup but I wouldn't use one in a Tele neck position.

Also, FWIW the 4 way switching on a Tele with a neck bucker is a waste of time. The 4th (series) position is so fat with 2 single coils that once you go to a single AND a bucker in series it's really un-usable.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The gibson 70s tribute minis make nice tele neck pickups. They are kind of a hybrid design between a firebird and an epi mini. They have a single Alnico bar magnet and dual blades with no screw poles, i.e. solid cover. They can occasionally be found on eBay and are very happy on a 250k pot

Comment

You can run volume knob for each pickup, 250k and 500k (no tone knob). I've got great result with Nocaster - '59 using 375k pots. Or if you want to use 250k pots all the way, Jazz or SM1 Mini Vintage is nice choice.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tele1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	5765216Ok so now I'm exploring different paths

1. Try an SH-2 I have laying around with a 250K pot
              2. Seperate volume controls
              3. Switchable 500K resistor parallel to bridge.

As for option 3 I made up the following schematic. Will this work you think? All 500K resistors BTW.

Comment

Ps If I put a 470K on the hot lug of the volumepot and the other side to ground, than I simulate a 250K (ok ok, 240K) pot right?

Comment

Working...
                X