banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearly Gates Bridge for 24 fret neck????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates Bridge for 24 fret neck????

I recently purchased a 2013 Gibson SGJ. I am "underwhelmed" with the stock Gibson pups for my taste. The bridge is decent/good. But the neck is only decent for cleans IMHO. I have been wanting to try out PG's for quite a while. I am a huge Warren Haynes and Billy Gibbons fan. I find their tones amazing. These pups seems to handle all amounts of gain that you throw at them as well. My concern primarily is with the neck pup. I am don't want a mushy or wooly neck tone. I recall seeing someones comments about PG's not fairing well with 24 fret guitars. I really would like to go with a pair of PG's for this new guitar. Whould a PG (b) in the neck handle the extended scale better than the PG (n)????? I also contemplated a 59 (n). Maybe a magnet swap. I wasn't really keen to considering tearing apart a new pickup. But I watched a You Tube video on it and now see how relatively simple it is. Thanks in advance for any input. Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere already.

Re: Pearly Gates Bridge for 24 fret neck????

if you dont want mushy or wooly then use the neck version. the bridge will be more wooly

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      if you dont want mushy or wooly then use the neck version. the bridge will be more wooly
      Ok, Would you go with the neck version for a 24 fretter then? Or what about splitting the coils to help out if any of this is even necessary. Again, I am basing this logic on hearsay. Thanks for responding.

Comment

I just found a You Tube video of a PG n and Custom Custom b and it sounds pretty damn good.. I am still open to input on this from anyone though.......

Comment

-In a 24 fret Carvin .....

Comment

I got 24 Fret V copy. And am planning to put a set of Pearly Gates in it. The 24 Fret should not be such a big issue. Sure there would be a slight tonal diff in the neck. I guess it would sound a little more brighter as it would b closer to the neck. if that would be good or bad only your ears could tell. I say go for it. And put the neck version in the neck.
            sigpic
            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
            JFG Flying V,
            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I have a PRS CU24 and the PG(b) in the neck is the Duncan I've found for the job. In my opinion you need a few extra windings to compensate for the loss of midrange when the pickup is moved closer to the bridge, and it give you a little more output to compensate for less string movement as well.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                I got 24 Fret V copy. And am planning to put a set of Pearly Gates in it. The 24 Fret should not be such a big issue. Sure there would be a slight tonal diff in the neck. I guess it would sound a little more brighter as it would b closer to the neck. if that would be good or bad only your ears could tell. I say go for it. And put the neck version in the neck.
                Thanks. Keep me posted on how this turns out...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                  I have a PRS CU24 and the PG(b) in the neck is the Duncan I've found for the job. In my opinion you need a few extra windings to compensate for the loss of midrange when the pickup is moved closer to the bridge, and it give you a little more output to compensate for less string movement as well.

Luke
                  Sweet. You obviously felt the need to go that route. Have you used a PG n in a 24 fretter before? Did you have to tweek the pup height or pole heights to compensate for balanced n/b tones(in either situation)? Thanks for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by THRAKD View Post
                    Sweet. You obviously felt the need to go that route. Have you used a PG n in a 24 fretter before? Did you have to tweek the pup height or pole heights to compensate for balanced n/b tones(in either situation)? Thanks for responding.
                    Not the PG(n) but I have tried the Jazz, Jazz II, 59, and 59 II. Tweaking heights is something I always do.
                    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                      Not the PG(n) but I have tried the Jazz, Jazz II, 59, and 59 II. Tweaking heights is something I always do.
                      I am getting ready to pull the trigger soon. I will follow up with what I go with. Also considering the 59/custom b w/PG n or b in the neck. Thanks for responding..

Comment

Your SG has the 498T/490R set? If so, a PGN isn't that much different than a 490R. Both are fairly warm with rounded high-ends. If you're not excited with a 490R, a PGN won't have you dancing around the room. A '59N would be a better choice if you want more clarity and definition. If you're wanting to go the PAF route, which is never a bad idea, I'd go with a pair of '59's.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          Your SG has the 498T/490R set? If so, a PGN isn't that much different than a 490R. Both are fairly warm with rounded high-ends. If you're not excited with a 490R, a PGN won't have you dancing around the room. A '59N would be a better choice if you want more clarity and definition. If you're wanting to go the PAF route, which is never a bad idea, I'd go with a pair of '59's.

There is an amazing You Tube video of a 59n and PGb on a Les Paul. It sounds amazing. The guy had a solid eq on his tones. I have a Hamer SATQ that have the "Duncan designed" pups. I believe they are supposed to be 59/JB Pseudo clones. The neck sounds pretty damn good actually. It is a 22 fret neck. Some say that the 59 is ultra thick on low end neck tones. I find it not so on my "D.designed" pup. I know it's all subjective. I have been contemplating the 59n and 59/Custom hybrid bridge also. Decisions-Decisions. I appreciate this forum. It helps a lot. I do have a friend who has a PG b in one of his axes. He said that he loves it except for it being a little bit piercing on leads sometimes. I asked him if he adjusts his tone knob at all. He said no. I followed up with him again and he thanked me profusely. Calling me "Mr. Obvious". I learned that a long time ago that the volume and tone knobs are there for a reason. I

Comment

I have a PGn in my super strat and no problems. I just mess with pup height till I get it where I need it. I replace the a2 mag with a polished A3 to tighten up the bottom alil and get a lil more high end but overall it's a great pup.
                            Originally posted by KBliss
                            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                            Originally posted by trevorus
                            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Working...
                            X