Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partscaster HH setup questions...

Hi all,
    First let me start by saying I have spent hours in here looking at the forum and you all are great and helpful with your suggestions and remedies.I recently purchased from a good friend his 2 new Alnico Pro ll Slash Pickup set. He had bought them to do a mod on his vintage Les Paul but decided at the last minute that he did not want to do anything to change the guitar from original. That being said, I am a Strat style guitar man and I want to incorporate these in to a "PartsCaster" that I am doing. My question is..Does anyone have any recomendations for a wiring diagram.. I am using 2-tone controls, and 1-volume knob..and a 5 way switch(i have both the standard 5 way and a super 5 way) and a HH style pickguard. I do not want any push pull knobs or mini toggles...just the 5 way to change pickups . I look forward to hearing from you and want to thank you in advance.
    Thanks,
    Wyn

Re: Partscaster HH setup questions...

Are Slash pickups 4 conductor?

I've always wanted to try this, but it's rather "involved" as far as wiring goes!
    Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Humbucker (series) 2. Bridge Humbucker (parallel) 3. Bridge Series Humbucker + Neck Series Humbucker 4. Neck Humbucker (parallel) 5. Neck Humbucker (series)

Or this:
    Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Humbucker (series) 2. Bridge(S) + Neck(N) (parallel) 3. Bridge Series Humbucker + Neck Series Humbucker 4. Neck(S) + Bridge(N) (parallel) 5. Neck Humbucker (series)

Personally I prefer to run a humbucker in parallel rather than split it, that way it's still hum-canceling!
    Last edited by metlking; 02-27-2013, 12:24 AM.
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I would go with the 5 Way switch. And use one tone and One Vol set up. I currently have on my ibby a 5 way switich ( Stock) that lets me go 1 neck Full Humbucking,2 Neck Parallel, 3 Neck and Bridge Humbucking, 4 Both pickups inner coils split, 5 Bridge Humbucking. I dont know what options the Super switch would give you. But use it. A parallel tone is killer.
      Last edited by Jocelyn; 02-27-2013, 01:16 AM.
      sigpic
      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
      JFG Flying V,
      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

On my strat modded with Antiquity humbuckers, I kept the wiring simple with a 3-way switch, but used a pair of concentric pots to give the pickups separate volume and tone controls, like on a LP. Some strings did not line-up with the pickup screws.

On a separate tele project with standard pots, I hooked up a super 5-way switch to a pair of tele Texas Specials. The switch gave 2 additional options: n+b in series and n+b oop. But thereafter I realized OOP is more useful when pickups each have a vol. control. While N+B in series is useful for added grunt and output, specially when I forget to bring along an od pedal.

Options for thought... ymmv. Good luck on your wiring project!

Comment

My personal recommendation would be... ditch the A2Ps, the pickguard and the switches. Get a single medium hot humbucker for the bridge, hook it to a volume pot and rock that beast like a madman!

There is a fully hum-cancelling 5-way HH 1V 1T wiring scheme you can use. It's from an Ibanez RG520. The more fancy a wiring, the neater you have to do it to make it sound right. In all honesty, I believe that simple and to the point is the way to go. The most basic circuits sound the best to me. Good luck anyway.

Comment

You can wire a 5 way as "mute-mute-bridge-both-neck" or something, too. Hook up the two pups as two-conductors, hots to the MIDDLE (so you have tone controls) and NECK positions on the blade, grounds to the back of a pot....might have to reverse one of the two's wires, though, if soldering as direct replacement and not taking the circuit apart, since some strats are wired with mid (for SSS) or neck (for HSS) out of phase for hum-cancelling positions... don't worry too much about the tone control, despite what some people say, 250 vs. 500k won't matter AT ALL (fact, not subjective opinion) with tone wide open, and might not matter all that much (YMMV) even using it quite actively.
            Last edited by Adieu; 02-27-2013, 04:03 AM.
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
              Are Slash pickups 4 conductor?

Or this:
              Guitar wiring diagram with 2 humbuckers, 5-way 4-pole lever switch, one volume and two tone controls. Custom 5-way switching: 1. Bridge Humbucker (series) 2. Bridge(S) + Neck(N) (parallel) 3. Bridge Series Humbucker + Neck Series Humbucker 4. Neck(S) + Bridge(N) (parallel) 5. Neck Humbucker (series)

Personally I prefer to run a humbucker in parallel rather than split it, that way it's still hum-canceling!
              That setup is the first thing that came to my mind. You can get some great tones out of it and the #2 and #4 switch positions will get some reasonable quack and will be hum cancelling since you combine the north neck coil with the south bridge coil and vice versa.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

wow, thank you all....i definitely have some homework here...that is why i joined here... all of you rock!

Comment

like vegetable joe i just used a 3 way. simple is best.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X