X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTS>>> IS WOOD THE BEST???

Hmmmm... ok, I`ll bite...

Originally posted by Miget Kotla View Post
    I've seen some nice looking wooden knobs on great custom guitars and I'm wondering what you guys think the absolute best sounding pots are for volume/tone and the rest?
    POTS? CTS or Bourns, Alpha in a pinch.

After seeing some wooden switches/knobs I figured I'd give them a try unless someone said they actually affected the way the strat will sound in a negative way.
    Is wood okay there?
    No, they just look different and cost 10-20x as much as plastic or knurled metal.

Any real difference?
    Yes, they look different and cost 10-20x as much as plastic or knurled metal.

I'm looking for the absolute best quality and sound - looks come second but man that wood stuff looks nice there!

Thanks!
    "Best" is subjective at best when it comes to sound, one persons Fat" is another`s "muddy", just as one person`S "bright" ia another`s "icepick". That said, the actual value and taper of the pots will have 100x more effect than the actual manufacturer, and the material the knobs are made of makes about as much tonal difference as the color of your socks.

As far as quality: cheap wooden knobs without threaded inserts generally love to split in 2 at the most inopportune moment, especuially when made of improperly dried exotic woods like most of the ones you can find on eBay.

If you really want them, your best bet is to go to a craftsman specialized in turning wood, I do not at this time know of ANY manufacturer that makes these to a level of quality I would accept on one of my own instruments. Expect a set of 4 knobs to start at about 50$ + materials.
    Last edited by Zerberus; 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      While we're asking stupid questions, which has better tone, 1" strap pin screws or 1 1/8" strap pin screws?
      My buddies Epi has both and it kills, but he needs to change his strap. I'll tell him about the wooden knobs.
      I want more me in my tone.

Comment

If I were you I'd hold off on the CS guitar and 1000 dollar pups and take some time to learn how a guitar works first. It doesn't matter how much things cost if you don't understand how to make those pieces work together you probably will be disappointed in the end. I kinda really hope your not being serious.

Comment

Im taking a trip downt to middle earth this weekend to get some unicorn hairs. Im going to make my own set of unicorn hair wound humbuckers and make picks from their horns. Frodo and Harry Potter are coming with me. Should be fun
          2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
          Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

My buddy named Skwisgaar has a guitar made out of Christ's cross. Ultimate tone wood. Period. His knobs are also made out of chunks from the stone that covered the entrance to his tomb, and pots made out of the metal from the holy grail. Has never ending sustain, absolute clarity, no hum, rock solid tuning stability, perfect intonation, thickest and most powerful tone I've ever heard, and it sounds great clean and distorted. The only thing that could make it better if the strings were made from the hair of Jesus, as they improve tone.

Also, the best bridges for rhythm playing are the Japanese Jazzmaster bridges.

Comment

Well, I tried every knob under the sun: metal (copper sounds especially 'carrot-y'), wooden, plastic, glass, aluminum, the wonderfully transparent tone of no knob at all. I'm sorry to report that only the following does Zephyrs justice:

Now I don't know from potentiometers, but I'm thinking that if they're like any other type of electronic equipment, the quality of the knob is of minimal importance. Not so, it seems, with the Silver Rock Signature Potentiometer & Passive Preamplifier, a device for which special wooden and bronze knobs will cost you…

Unfortunately it seems to be out of production, so expect to spend a fortune on a vintage NOS one, if you're lucky enough to find it.

PS: The secret to Dimebag's tone? "Dimebag traction knobs". Google it up

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                Im taking a trip downt to middle earth this weekend to get some unicorn hairs. Im going to make my own set of unicorn hair wound humbuckers and make picks from their horns. Frodo and Harry Potter are coming with me. Should be fun
                if you get close enough, grab me some wax off its junk.
                best nut lube there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Amplifuzz View Post
                  Well, I tried every knob under the sun: metal (copper sounds especially 'carrot-y'), wooden, plastic, glass, aluminum, the wonderfully transparent tone of no knob at all. I'm sorry to report that only the following does Zephyrs justice:

Now I don't know from potentiometers, but I'm thinking that if they're like any other type of electronic equipment, the quality of the knob is of minimal importance. Not so, it seems, with the Silver Rock Signature Potentiometer & Passive Preamplifier, a device for which special wooden and bronze knobs will cost you…

Unfortunately it seems to be out of production, so expect to spend a fortune on a vintage NOS one, if you're lucky enough to find it.

PS: The secret to Dimebag's tone? "Dimebag traction knobs". Google it up
                  You are so right about those traction knobs. My Dean Razor back doesn't even have a Floyd and I was pulling off dive bombs like no bodies business.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

If this is for a Strat, are you getting a wooden pickguard too?
                      My band: VISIBLY INVISIBLE

Comment

Working...
                      X