banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace the 498T in an SG standard with...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replace the 498T in an SG standard with...?

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    It's an SG Standard. I'm not real keen on gluing triple shots onto a pickguard. A P-Rail is great product, but I'm thinking a nice mid-output traditional humbucker is the way to go here.
    You wouldn't have to glue it. The pickup mounting screws would hold it just fine.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I'd probably go with a '59/Custom hybrid, but that's me. Or I was actually thinking of Kam's suggestion of the A8. While I realize that not everybody is up for taking things apart I'm that crazy SOB that'll do it. From all the 498Ts I've played I think the A8 might have the tonal shift you desire.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec View Post
        I have a CC in my '61 SG/LP reissue, but that's probably too hot for your purposes. Try a Seth Lover. They sound awesome.

Good luck
        I think it would be just about right, CC is the one

-----
        Not sent from a PC......or a red delicious.....but from a robot with a human appearance.
        Originally posted by MikeS
        a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
        Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
        whats becoming of this generation
        We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
          A 500k pot would make a too hot, too bright, brittle-sounding pickup less so?

It wont do anything for the output but it demphasizes the extreme high mids. The stock 300k pots make them sound constipated.

But, assuming you want to stick with 300k, and you just hate the pup, the Custom5 and 59b are the only two Duncans that IME benefit from the stock pots. I really enjoyed the c5 in my Vs with 300k pots. The constipation effect works well to tame the extreme highs and lows and effectively makes them sound fuller in the mids. Same same with a 59b in a couple paulas and a explorer.
          Last edited by JeffB; 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

You can get a Brobucker potted when you order it, mine was.

Comment

To me, it sounds like you're asking for a BBQ.

Comment

Alright guys! This is more like it.

Thank you for all the recommendations, sincerely. This thread is gonna get us to the promised land on this guitar.

Stuff I'm considering now are:

59/C hybrid
                CC or C8
                Air Zone
                AT-1
                Rio BBQ

Anybody ever throw an A-8 into a Seth Lover?

Also, will be getting some 500k pots into the guitar (thanks Jeff).
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Replace the 498T in an SG standard with...?

I'm not sure if the CC would be tight enough for you.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I've never liked the 490r neck pickup. It is too warm and spongy and round to balance well with ANY A5 magnet bridge pickup I have tried. I like the 498t with the cover off and a 59 in the neck. If I had to pick an A5 bridge to go with the 490r, I would try an UOA5 Custom. Gibson should pick a direction with the SG standard and commit. The 498t needs an A5 neck pickups with it. The 490r needs an A2 bridge pickup with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                      I've never liked the 490r neck pickup. It is too warm and spongy and round to balance well with ANY A5 magnet bridge pickup I have tried. I like the 498t with the cover off and a 59 in the neck. If I had to pick an A5 bridge to go with the 490r, I would try an UOA5 Custom. Gibson should pick a direction with the SG standard and commit. The 498t needs an A5 neck pickups with it. The 490r needs an A2 bridge pickup with it.
                      490R with a short A5 = T-Top

IIRC
                      Nope...

Comment

You could also try a '59/Custom hybrid with an A8, because everyone here has a hard-on for A8s. Also fun to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                          If I had to pick an A5 bridge to go with the 490r, I would try an UOA5 Custom. Gibson should pick a direction with the SG standard and commit. The 498t needs an A5 neck pickups with it. The 490r needs an A2 bridge pickup with it.
                          +1. The 'bright bridge and dark neck' approach is difficult for many players to work with, and nudges some of them to use just one of the PU's. I find life to be much simpler when both PU's are either warm, or both are bright. I don't understand why the 498T/490R is in so many models. I don't think the guitar-playing public is clamouring for that pairing.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I happen to think the 498T sucks necrotic balls 100% of the time. I hate that pickup.
                            I just need something warmer and chewier with an output around 10k that would sound good in an SG.
                            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Hold up, I thought you rocked an SG Classic with P90s? Did you get a different one or have I just not been paying enough attention to the camera feed from your house?

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                                Hold up, I thought you rocked an SG Classic with P90s? Did you get a different one or have I just not been paying enough attention to the camera feed from your house?
                                This is not a recommendation for me, but for my virtuosic co guitarist who just picked up an SG Std this week. It's a really good one, but the bridge pickup just does it no justice at all.
                                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Working...
                                X