Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone tried the EMG 57/66 set yet?

Originally posted by Mont97 View Post

Another video from Andy James, they sound very, very nice, I particularly like the neck tone, very sweet....
    The bridge has a touch of aggression to it, but none of the hard ceramic tone that I would expect from an 81, yet also tighter than I would expect an 85 in the bridge to be.

The neck tone was sweet all over. I generally find many Alnico V based neck pickups bland (just personal preference with few exceptions) and opt for Alnico II, but that neck tone is somehow sweet on the top end with a very balanced midrange.

I think EMG has a winning pair with those two. Just for reference, my main guitars have Duncan Distortion, Alnico II Pro, and EMG-81/85 18 volt pups.

These are definitely hi-fi sounding, but sweet at the same time. I was surprised to see the mini Recto stack in the background too. The rectifier sounds I get from my Triaxis (2.0 model with the rectifier orange circuit) definitely sounds more rude.

Comment

Premier guitar posted up a clip A/Bing them with Gibson '57 Classics here:

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
        Premier guitar posted up a clip A/Bing them with Gibson '57 Classics here:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...rs_Review.aspx
        wow!... the bridge one sounds reaaaally close to the Gibson 57, actually I liked the EMG a tiny bit better

Comment

Anyone tried the EMG 57/66 set yet?

Christ, I need to try these! I wonder if these would be awesome in an explorer?

Comment

Originally posted by Maynardo View Post
            wow!... the bridge one sounds reaaaally close to the Gibson 57, actually I liked the EMG a tiny bit better
            I know they are DAMN close!

I can tell the neck pickup is the EMG but holy cow that is splitting hairs.

Comment

Yeah the 57 is spot on.
              But I think the 66 is about 9 off.

Comment

Working...
              X