Suggestions for new pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for new pickups

Hello people, I have a three year old Avion AV3, I am looking to change the pickups, I was thinking of Alnico II Pros, are they good enough. Would you recommend some other pups? Are other modifications required? Thank you!

Re: Suggestions for new pickups

what don't you like about the existing pickups? what sound do you want? are there any specific artist's tones you are trying to emulate? what genres do you play? what amp/pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
      what don't you like about the existing pickups? what sound do you want? are there any specific artist's tones you are trying to emulate? what genres do you play? what amp/pedals?
      Hello, Thank You for your response, I use a Marshall MG50DFX, No pedals as such, I am trying to emulate Slash's tone, Hence my AP2 pro Slash Edition Choice, What I Don't like about my existing pickups is that the distortion seems fuzzy and Low volume. I have been reading the forums around and the general opinion is that, since my guitar is a cheap one, it aint worth it. So I am in a dilemma. I mostly play Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal.

Comment

Yes and no... I say its ok to put pickups in a cheap guitar just make sure and save your old pickups too. When you get a new guitar you can take and put the new pickups in it and sell the old guitar with the originals in it. Conversely if the new pickups dont work in the new guitar you can sell them used separate from the cheap guitar and your losses will be minimal.

That being said it wont give you instant slash. Almost certain it will sound better (not knowing what your guitar sounds like now cant say how much or even what is better for sure) but a lot of the sound your hearing is your amp but i doubt you will find an amp thats better for the cost of pickups so take your pick according to how much money you plan on spending.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Step 1 - Squeeze the desired tone from you fingers.
          Step 2 - The Marshall MG series may not be highly regarded, but I can get all the tones I want from those things. Twist the knobs until you find the tone you are looking for.
          Step 3 - Add a Boss overdrive or a Tubescreamer (SD-1 or TS9). Layered up pedal distortion and amp distortion and speaker breakup gives you endless possibilities.
          Step 4 - Seymour Duncan Alinco II Pro pickups (regular, not signature) are a big part of Slash's sound.

I am not questioning your skill level, but nothing trumps the hands. I use a Dimebucker, and I play Pearl Jam.
          Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I think the MG series has been upgraded in the last few years, but my ~2005 MG50 really held me back in terms of tone. I bought a used JCM 2000 DSL 401 from a guy on here a few years back and it was the best thing I ever did. I totally agree that fingers is the most important part of your tone, but upgrading the amp was great for me, and it made me want to play more and more.

This video might be useful...

Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
              Step 2 - The Marshall MG series may not be highly regarded, but I can get all the tones I want from those things. Twist the knobs until you find the tone you are looking for.
              Step 3 - Add a Boss overdrive or a Tubescreamer (SD-1 or TS9). Layered up pedal distortion and amp distortion and speaker breakup gives you endless possibilities.
              Step 4 - Seymour Duncan Alinco II Pro pickups (regular, not signature) are a big part of Slash's sound.

I am not questioning your skill level, but nothing trumps the hands. I use a Dimebucker, and I play Pearl Jam.
              Yes I agree to that, I figure I'll just experiment with My amp, And Add the Boss Overdrive, and see how things work out for me. Your Suggestions have been extremely useful, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                Yes and no... I say its ok to put pickups in a cheap guitar just make sure and save your old pickups too. When you get a new guitar you can take and put the new pickups in it and sell the old guitar with the originals in it. Conversely if the new pickups dont work in the new guitar you can sell them used separate from the cheap guitar and your losses will be minimal.

That being said it wont give you instant slash. Almost certain it will sound better (not knowing what your guitar sounds like now cant say how much or even what is better for sure) but a lot of the sound your hearing is your amp but i doubt you will find an amp thats better for the cost of pickups so take your pick according to how much money you plan on spending.
                I say go for it. Go for the regular Alnico II's. And as Edgecrusher suggested keep the original pups. The AV3 may be inexpensive but it is a very decent if not really good guitar.

Originally posted by baritone View Post

Yes +1 to all of this .
                sigpic
                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                JFG Flying V,
                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Working...
                X