Custom Shop Pickup idea's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Pickup idea's

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have been a loyal customer of Duncan's for years and would love some feedback!

I have tried pretty much all Seymour's pickups (except the custom custom and 59) and have still kept my combination of SH-6b and SH-8N in all of my 6 and 7 strings. I have however just joined a experimental band and we use 8 strings, so far I have tried emg 808's and BK aftermath's, both were very much one trick ponies, though I did love the clarity of the aftermaths. I then tried drop tuning my seven string with the SH-6 and SH-8 and it had a much better tone, however it was not at the clarity that I wanted (yes I did change the string gauges). So I thought I might get a pair of custom shop pickups. I play standard 8 string tuning.
    My band plays: modern/doom metal, blues style solo's, with a mixture of funk and jazz. We usually only get around 20 minutes at gigs and we try to cram two 9 minute songs in that time, so I don't have time to change guitars.
    My question for you guys is what magnets should it have? polarity? any ideas how to make the low E stand out without impacting the bass response to much? or should I just order a standard 8 string SH-6 and SH-8?
    oh and I'm playing a mahogany body, through a Bogner ecstasy.

Re: Custom Shop Pickup idea's

I'm not sure about your questions, but SD is launching a whole slew of production line 7 and 8 string pickups this year. Keep an eye out.

Comment

Not sure why your worried about polarity but the best thing to do is if the production pickups dont do it for you call the custom shop and tell them what sound you need and dont tie their hands with arbitrary has to be this magnet and this resistance. They will do you right. As CTN said there is new 8 string stuff in the pipe line so stay tuned.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Cool guys thanks for the help, I've emailed the custom shop and I'll post pics when I receive the babies!

Comment

Working...
        X