banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Pearley Gates (neck) and SH11 Bridge on a Economic Les Paiul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Pearley Gates (neck) and SH11 Bridge on a Economic Les Paiul?

Good morning I'm46 years old writing from Italy. I have intention to change the pickups for an economic guitar: a VINTAGEV100 Les Paul model). Do you give me some suggestions? I thought about the PEARLEY GATES to the neck and a CUSTOMCUSTOM (SH11) to the bridge. Alternatives can be the classical coupled JB to the bridge and SH1 neck (too much acute?); or two alnicoII-pro (what difference there is with the models Slash signature?).
    Are all the suitable models available in color zebra?
    Precise that play also a gibson 61 reisseaus with the PUs origininali and a Strato Fender (Mexico) with PUs I-Spira (handicraft boutiques Italian) and that I make pop blues Italian and great classical evergreen as Gun's roses Deep Purple Doors, and I don't think that I will ever make metal.
    Obviously I have already felt the sampleses from the site but I preferred a direct comparison. Thanks thousand and good music to everybody!!!

Domenico from Italy

Re: How is Pearley Gates (neck) and SH11 Bridge on a Economic Les Paiul?

Qual è la differenza di suono che desidera?
    Hai impostato l'altezza totale e l'altezza dei poli?

What do you want to change about the stock pickups' sound?
    Have you tried adjusting the overall height, and poles'?

Comment

Welcome aboard!

As you will find out, PU's have their strongpoints and weaknesses, being suited for certain genres, or certain guitar designs or woods. No PU will please everyone, or be good in every guitar. The CC (SH-11) is considered by most guys here to be too warm and dark in a Les Paul; it works better in bright woods like a Strat. I find the PGN to have a rounded high end in LP's, not enough treble and bite for me, but other guys like it.

JB's are famous for being picky about the woods they sound good in. They were designed for bright woods (Tele) and are hit or miss in warm woods; they may sound great, or they may sound 'atrocious.' They can get an 'ice pick spike' and a 'flabby low end.' '59N's (SH-1) are a pretty versatile PU, except that in some guitars, especially Les Pauls, they can be very boomy/bassy. They tend to do better in SG's.

For what you want, I think an A2P set would be very good. The Slash version just has a little hotter bridge PU (slightly more overwound). Not a big difference. I have an A2P set in a Les Paul and like it much better than PG's. The bridge is fuller and warmer (not as bright and thin as a PGB), and the neck has more treble (not as warm and mellow as a PGN). The bridge and neck are balanced better with A2P's.

One of our most respected members is a luthier in Italy, Pepe (known as 'Lt Kojak' here) who's in Milano. Great guy and always has good advice. Ask him for suggestions.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        Welcome aboard!

As you will find out, PU's have their strongpoints and weaknesses, being suited for certain genres, or certain guitar designs or woods. No PU will please everyone, or be good in every guitar. The CC (SH-11) is considered by most guys here to be too warm and dark in a Les Paul; it works better in bright woods like a Strat. I find the PGN to have a rounded high end in LP's, not enough treble and bite for me, but other guys like it.

JB's are famous for being picky about the woods they sound good in. They were designed for bright woods (Tele) and are hit or miss in warm woods; they may sound great, or they may sound 'atrocious.' They can get an 'ice pick spike' and a 'flabby low end.' '59N's (SH-1) are a pretty versatile PU, except that in some guitars, especially Les Pauls, they can be very boomy/bassy. They tend to do better in SG's.

For what you want, I think an A2P set would be very good. The Slash version just has a little hotter bridge PU (slightly more overwound). Not a big difference. I have an A2P set in a Les Paul and like it much better than PG's. The bridge is fuller and warmer (not as bright and thin as a PGB), and the neck has more treble (not as warm and mellow as a PGN). The bridge and neck are balanced better with A2P's.

One of our most respected members is a luthier in Italy, Pepe (known as 'Lt Kojak' here) who's in Milano. Great guy and always has good advice. Ask him for suggestions.
        Thanks. I'm in love with PG (almost for the name).... do you think it's better for bridge o neck? Can you tell me how i can contact the italian luthier (may city is near Milano)

Comment

I don't care for PG's; the bridge is pretty bright and the neck is pretty warm. What are you looking for tonewise?

Just send a PM to Lt Kojak. He posts here all the time.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
          X