Potentiometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentiometers

Hello people , Last week I bought the hot rodded set (sh-4 ,sh-2 ) and I am not quite pleased.I found the sound a little thin.In the guitar are installed 500k volume and tone potentiometers , do you think a replacement with 300k ,or 250k pots will warm up the sound ? I read a couple of posts about this but I didn't find the answer. So I will be very pleased if i do now.

Re: Potentiometers

What kinda guitar is it?

I find the JB with a 500k pot to be far too harsh and thin. Sounds great with a 250k though. (in a strat anyway)
    Last edited by CTN; 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

It's a Limited Edition Epiphone Korina SG , made in Korea in 1991 or 1990 i think.

Comment

ah cool

yeah, try switching the volume pot for the JB to a 250k. I'd leave the Jazz with a 500k though (unless you feel that's too bright as well, in which case, a 250k with that too might do the trick)

Comment

Thank you

Comment

MIK early 90.s.... ooh la la CTN has it w/ this.
            PC
            Welcome to SDUGF!

Comment

If you get an A4 in the Jazz and an A8 in the JB, your problems will be solved without even changing pots.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                If you get an A4 in the Jazz and an A8 in the JB, your problems will be solved without even changing pots.

HTH,
                +1. JB's are fussy about the wood they're in and sometimes have problems in warm woods like mahogany. I've tried JB's in LP's and SG's and didn't care for them, until I swapped the magnet for an A2, which gives it a warm blues/classic rock sound. If you play hard rock and metal, try an A8.

It's up to you, swap magnets or pots.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you are finding a JB thin, something is wrong with the wiring. They are one of the last pickups that come to mind when I think thin.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    If you are finding a JB thin, something is wrong with the wiring. They are one of the last pickups that come to mind when I think thin.
                    Have you tried JB's in mahogany? There's that notorious 'ice pick spike' that can pop up, which has been talked about here by JB users long before I joined the forum.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      JB8 in a strat with a 500k vol sounded thin and screechy to my ears. God alone knows what an A5 would sound like. 250k cleaned it right up and now it's thick and meaty sounding, like it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X