banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious about a certain coil splitting option, is this possible???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about a certain coil splitting option, is this possible???

So I'm curious to know if a certain coil split option is even possible... I am currently using a Strat with 2 humbuckers, 2 individual volumes, and a DiMarzio EP1112 multi-pole 5-way switch. It's currently wired as follows:
    -Position 1: Bridge humbucker
    -Position 2: Bridge screw pole'd coil and neck slug coil
    -Position 3: Bridge & Neck humbuckers
    -Position 4; Bridge slug coil and Neck screw pole'd coil
    -Position 5: Neck humbucker

So I'm curious to know if it's possible to have each volume a push/pull for the coil split, but also have it wired to a mini toggle to choose either the slug coil or the screw pole'd coil. This would wind up being on a 3-way instead of the 5-way for obvious reason. I'm looking to get the most out of the pickups and tonality out of the guitar, and would like to do this if it's possible...

So if it IS possible, how would it be wired? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Re: Curious about a certain coil splitting option, is this possible???

Something like this?
    I recently built myself a Tele-style guitar from parts. I used a vintage white Swamp Ash body from Warmoth, the neck from my 10-year-old USA Fender Telecaster and hardware from… well, mostly from eBay actually. I already have a Telecaster with an STR-1 Vintage Rhythm pickup in the neck position and an APTL-3JD Jerry Donahue...

Or maybe you should use a super (5 way) switch and figure out a configuration of your own,
    In this article, we introduce the 5 Way 4 Pole Super Switch and demonstrate how this versatile tool can be used to expand your tonal palette.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      Something like this?
      I recently built myself a Tele-style guitar from parts. I used a vintage white Swamp Ash body from Warmoth, the neck from my 10-year-old USA Fender Telecaster and hardware from… well, mostly from eBay actually. I already have a Telecaster with an STR-1 Vintage Rhythm pickup in the neck position and an APTL-3JD Jerry Donahue...

Or maybe you should use a super (5 way) switch and figure out a configuration of your own,
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...switch-part-2/
      I had originally done something like this, with the DiMarzio multi-pole 5-way (which is this same switch...), and had the same wiring as mentioned above, but had the 2 inside coils in position 2, and the 2 outside coils on position 4.

I'm looking ideally to get 6 different tones using push/pull volumes and a 3-way, but what I wanna know is is it possible to have the push/pull pots activate the coil split AND have it wired to a mini toggle switch so I can pick which coil I want on and to use???

Basically like this:
      *Push/pull down: Humbucker
      *Push/pull up: coil split
      *Mini toggle: to select either the slug coil or the screw pole'd coil when the coil split is on...

Comment

Almost everything is possible, but not everything is feasible. I took pen and pencil thinking about how to make it possible and I came with this idea, please look at the image which is focused on one humbucker only. Sorry about my crappy hand writing. Please review it (or anyone who may read this thread and wants to collaborate) and let me know what you think. We can go one step at a time to try to turn it into a complete diagram with volume and tone pot for a couple of HBs.

By the way, those are not capacitors, those are contacts. I am kind of used to this symbol, old fashion electrical drawing you can find almost everywhere but not for electronics .

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring_idea.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	5765403
        Last edited by IMENATOR; 03-11-2013, 09:48 PM.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
          Almost everything is possible, but not everything is feasible. I took pen and pencil thinking about how to make it possible and I came with this idea, please look at the image which is focused on one humbucker only. Sorry about my crappy hand writing. Please review it (or anyone who may read this thread and wants to collaborate) and let me know what you think. We can go one step at a time to try to turn it into a complete diagram with volume and tone pot for a couple of HBs.

By the way, those are not capacitors, those are contacts. I am kind of used to this symbol, old fashion electrical drawing you can find almost everywhere but not for electronics .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39896[/ATTACH]
          Sorry for not getting back to you sooner about this... I started a new job, and this is the first chance I've had to actually get online in the last few weeks.

So, I'd be curious to know how these would be wired up for the following components:
          *2x Humbuckers
          *2x 500K Push/Pull pots, each as an independent pickup volume
          *2x mini toggle switches, for which coil is "ON"
          *3-way blade switch - inline contact pins, pins 1 and 8 not used (ESP LTD 3-way blade switch...)

I'm curious about what gets wired to where for all this to work. I'm going to have to have a new pickguard made for the guitar anyway, so this will give me the incentive to get it done.

Comment

I need to take some time to draw it. From my previous drawing you need a push/pull and a switch for each humbucker. I have never used 3 way switches since I haveen a strat guy ever but I will do my best.

I guess the draw back of my idea is that there will be no room for tone pots

At some point I will try to modify this to make it work for autosplit instead of push/pull, but that will be another story.
            Last edited by IMENATOR; 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

I don't really use the tone pot on any of my guitars, except for one. So not stressing the tone pot being missing.

And the auto-split being for use with the 5-way multi-pole switch? That may be interesting as well...

Comment

Another thing you can do with the multi-pole switch is wire one pole "standard" and another pole for "splits", with either a push/pull or mini-toggle to select between the poles. However, you might not be able to mix the two modes (split bridge+full neck).
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                  Another thing you can do with the multi-pole switch is wire one pole "standard" and another pole for "splits", with either a push/pull or mini-toggle to select between the poles. However, you might not be able to mix the two modes (split bridge+full neck).
                  Hmmm... Interesting to know. But I'd be looking for something that I could use the two modes with - for example: a split neck pickup, either coil, with the bridge full (humbucker) in series.

Imenator, have you had a chance to come up with a diagram for this yet? It's something I'd really like to try out, especially with a set of Distortion 7's in that AW-7 of mine...

Comment

Working...
                  X