Need a tutorial on "POTS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a tutorial on "POTS"

I understand, o so I heard that all pots are the same.... Of course we also have no load pots, blending pots, linear pots and maybe more ?
    but my question is, what is the difference between a volume pot from a tone pot , somewhere , I heard that depend of how you wire them
    sometimes , I see the the tone capacitor going from one pot to the output of the other, other times, the tone capacitor is wired to one leg of the pot and then to ground..... I know I am asking for quite bit of info, and different issues , but I want to build my own kit, understanding a little bit of what I am doing..... I know, I can look at the wiring diagram and copied .....

Thank you !!!
    Last edited by stratneck2; 03-11-2013, 07:37 AM.

Re: Need a tutorial on "POTS"

The tone pot and volume pot are the same thing. You just buy a pot and wire it differently for each function. Volume is wired in series making it a direct shut off valve for your current
    The tone pot is wired in parallel to the rest of the circuit or pickup and with a capacitor. In parallel some of the current still flows when the "valve" is shut. It gets more complicated than I'm putting it but basically higher frequency (treble) has more energy and therefore higher voltage and that's what goes toward the capacitor.
    Basically if you follow the current in a wiring diagram with your finger you'll get to a point where the current could go 2 ways and one of them is usually the tone pot.
    I'm rambling now but hopefully I explained it well enough
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Comment

I think you are talking about one of many things that people call "50s wiring", and that is connecting the tone pot so that it auto-engages when you turn down the volume. That doesn't add new capabilities (you don't get anything that you couldn't get before by turning both pots down) but a lot of people think it's "just right" and makes things easier to dial in live.

Another thing sometimes passed around as "50s wiring" is exchanging the order of the tone pot and tone capacitor. That does nothing.

There are more things labeled as "50s wiring" but they don't have to do with the tone pot (volume only).

Comment

Maybe this could help

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

This is very illuminating , thank you, can't wait to try it at the Jam.....

But what I'm really looking for, is information of how to wire the pots, maybe I was not too clear when I posted this thread....
          But this new approach makes lots sense .....

Comment

Some people prefer different pots for tone and volume eg audio vol pot and linear tone pot, or the other way around depending on your preferences.
            our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
            'Cause all the girls are sluts,
            And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Originally posted by stratneck2 View Post
              This is very illuminating , thank you, can't wait to try it at the Jam.....

But what I'm really looking for, is information of how to wire the pots, maybe I was not too clear when I posted this thread....
              But this new approach makes lots sense .....
              Pots are just variable resistors and the tonecontrol section of the guitar is a circuit meant to modify the EQ of the pickup signal. So basically you can wire pots to change the tone (EQ) anyway you want, the most easy/economic approach seems to be a variation on the old school "low pass filter"

Who took my guitar?

Comment

To state it very simply, before being wired in, volume and tone pots are the same.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I think the tricky part could just be choosing the proper cap. This note from Joe Gore was so cool I can't leave withouth positng it as well

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    To state it very simply, before being wired in, volume and tone pots are the same.
                    Man I already got , this point.....
                    I want to learn how to wired them...... They have 3 legs , I guess I can copy a diagram, but I don't want to do Monkey see Monkey Do...

Comment

Let see if this two entries are of help:

http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com....y-part-02.html

http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com....y-part-08.html
                      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
                      X