help! installing a S.D. chrome pickup cover over sh6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! installing a S.D. chrome pickup cover over sh6

Hi everyone ! I have a question. I have an epiphone lp and I put Seymour Duncan's in it. I changed the hardware to chrome and now I am about to install the SD chrome covers I bought for it. However, I'm not sure if I am supposed to put silicone or wax on top of the pickups or not? Does it matter? Also, if they are properly installed, they won't affect your sound right? Thanks in advance to whoever has done this before!!

Re: help! installing a S.D. chrome pickup cover over sh6

You could just put tape over the pole pieces like some people or completely wax pot them (which is what I prefer). Just remember to ground the cover to the baseplate. Some say there is a difference in sound, but I find it negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
      You could just put tape over the pole pieces like some people or completely wax pot them (which is what I prefer). Just remember to ground the cover to the baseplate. Some say there is a difference in sound, but I find it negligible.
      Hey thanks a lot! Do I use scotch tape? And which poles do I put the tape over? Both rows, or just the ones that will be covered? Thanks!

Comment

I'm pretty sure scotch tape and just the ones that will be covered (slug poles) is fine, not 100% sure because I have always wax potted them. I should probably try it out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          I'm pretty sure scotch tape and just the ones that will be covered (slug poles) is fine, not 100% sure because I have always wax potted them. I should probably try it out eventually.
          Ahh OK... I think on second thought I am gonna return these. Your the second person that recommended wax potting and I have no idea how to do that. I bought them without doing research (my mistake) and I didn't know how much was involved. Thanks for your input!

Comment

You don't really need to wax pot the whole pickup if you are gonna just put covers on it since they are already potted. You could just melt a bit of wax inside the covers and heat them up with a hair dryer until the wax is liquid then push the covers on then let them cool off. That's really not completely necessary but it is a good idea. You would be fine if you just covered the slug coils with tape. I recommend masking tape.

Comment

Yeah you don't have to wax pot, just another method that some people like me prefer. You wouldn't have to return the pickup, just take 5 minutes to put tape over it or melt some wax (candle wax is fine) onto the inside of the cover and put it on. No biggie.

Comment

Working...
              X